Need immdiate help about Premiere Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yceltikci

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi people,

I haven't shown up quite a while. Busy with other things. Sorry 'bout that... Anyway, my problem is interesting and I'm getting mad :eyebrow:

My Camcorder is NTSC, but I have to make movies in PAL. That's ok to miss some pixels from top and down. But Mr. Premiere Pro (PP) is shrinking my movies as he likes. How?

I'm using PP's capture utility with IEEE1394 card installed on my PC. The clips are 720x480 29.97 fps. When I start using these clips in PP, the clips are shrinked about 80% leaving big black space all around (I'm not talking about the difference btw PAL%NTSC, 576-480=96=> 48 pixel from top and down) This space is all around, up, down, left & right.

When I use the same clips in Windows Movie Maker, the crap SW is much better than PP handling images and I get full screen films.

Is it the Movie Maker that automatically enlarging my clips or is it PP that shrinks them???

Anybody got a problem like that or knew how to solve it? Please help ASAP, I have a deadline!!!

All the best,
Yener

So, if you right clip the captured clip and select Proprieties, what does it say? Does it say 720X480 NTSF? Because it it does, it should display properly. If not, then we have a capture issue.

Guarantee it is a setting issue, either capture or playback.

Hi Rick,
thanx for the reply
the properties say, 720x480, frame rate:29.97 (NTSC)
I think my capture is ok, which is done by Premiere Pro itself. I have no intervention on the capturing process...

You are going to have more problems that just loosing some pixels. The frame rate is your big problem; NTSC 29.97 and PAL is 25. The simplest thing for you to do is probably to edit everything in native NTSC and then take a master tape to a duplicating house and have them transfer it to PAL.

Unless you've encoded/transfered the footage from one format to another you are still working with the original footage (in your case NTSC). Choosing PAL workspace setting in Premier will not actually convert your footage from NTSC.

I have done this before in PP with absolutely no problem. I captured everything to AVI from a NTSC camera - made a new PAL project - imported and edited the clips - saved it out to MPEG - burnt it to disk - and sent it to the UK. It worked fine.
I didn't have any problems with shrinkage though so I don't know what to suggest about that.

Kim:
I have done this before in PP with absolutely no problem. I captured everything to AVI from a NTSC camera - made a new PAL project - imported and edited the clips - saved it out to MPEG - burnt it to disk - and sent it to the UK. It worked fine.
I didn't have any problems with shrinkage though so I don't know what to suggest about that.

Sure it might be sized for Pal resolution, but its not PAL formated.

hermosadive:
Sure it might be sized for Pal resolution, but its not PAL formated.

Well then I don't really understand the difference. I sent it to my Dad and he could play it back in the UK over his PAL TV with no problem. Does the computer change the format if you have a video card with a PAL TV out?

Since I'm a FCP user I won't claim to know everything. NTSC to PAL conversion within most editing software is not the norm. Now that Premier is PC only, I can't install the latest version on my Mac to check this out. I've seen a few post mentioning that Premier can render out to PAL from NTSC footage. NTSC to PAL conversion is an option with AfterEffects so maybe it has been added to Premier???

If this is the case:

1) I would set your Premier setting to your normal NTSC workspace (720x480) since this is the format of the source material.
2) Import your footage and edit. There should be no resizing issues.
3) RENDER out as PAL, if that is an option.

I'm interested in hearing if the PAL render from a NTSC timeline/project is a feature.

Most of the newer televisions and DVD players in Europe will play NTSC or PAL fine. You will run into issues with older televisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom