Premiere Pro 2.0 users: HDV->DVD workflow help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any Premiere Pro 2.0 users out there? Trying to figure out what is the best workflow for converting HDV footage to a DVD (SD).

I usually setup a HDV project and edit in HDV as I like to output back to tape to replay on my HC7 to my widescreen TV. However, I would like to make DVD's to share with friends. I have read a few posts on video forums that the down sizing encoder on Premiere Pro results in disappointing DVD output. I also have Encore. What would be the best process for taking edited HDV footage to DVD resolutions?

Any Premiere Pro 2.0 users out there? Trying to figure out what is the best workflow for converting HDV footage to a DVD (SD).

I usually setup a HDV project and edit in HDV as I like to output back to tape to replay on my HC7 to my widescreen TV. However, I would like to make DVD's to share with friends. I have read a few posts on video forums that the down sizing encoder on Premiere Pro results in disappointing DVD output. I also have Encore. What would be the best process for taking edited HDV footage to DVD resolutions?

I'm using PPro1.5.1, but my computer is just a liitle too slow to edit HDV from my HC3. However, if you have been editing in HDV with no problem and outputting back to tape, I would then set the camera to output in SD and recapture the edited video. You'll then have an AVI file that you can break into chapters and encode in either PPro or Encore.

Thanks Chuck. Guess that's an option, but wonder which does a better job converting HDV to DVD in camera or thru an NLE encoder.

wonder which does a better job converting HDV to DVD in camera or thru an NLE encoder.

Well, I know that with the HV20, I find it better to convert to SD during capture, it seems to give better results than trying to down convert the footage after. As far as going to DVD after capture, I'm not sure. I do most of my "after capture" video conversions and compression with SUPER:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

A fantastic piece of free software that converts almost any type of video file to almost any other format. Best free software I have ever found and one of the most useful software programs out there for video, free or otherwise. I have never tried it with HD footage, however.

I wish I had a better workflow to share with you, but almost all of my video ends up in compressed format on a computer for viewing by others at work. I do very little DVD (although I have Encore as well). Let us know what you come up with, as I will want to know the best workflow as well.

hmm... OK, when I get a chance, I give down-converting from the camera a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom