Need ideas, trip for 2, easy diving, some seclusion. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does she plan to do besides dive? What do you? If she only does one dive/day, I imagine laying in the sun till she's bronzed is going to get old.

Richard.

If your plan is Marazul, you'll need to stop for food in Willemstad on the drive out, there's not much out there. Most people stop at Centrum Market first - a couple miles south of the airport in Piscadera.

You seemed to be looking for a resort - ie mentioning AKR. If I'm wrong there's a lot of private condos on Curacao - not only in Westpunt but east - Lagun Blou is waterfront (on a cliff over it) looking down on Playa Lagun beach/dive site. And there's quite a few properties east of Willemstad that are at least oceanfront - some on/near a beach. www.curacao.com lists a lot of options but check locations - some show the view nearby but the property is in a neighborhood.

Blue Bay is another area with a condo complex, ocean, and dive operation - plus Blue Bay wall - on-site.

There's two sets of condos - the ones up the hill look out over the golf course. It's five minutes drive from Piscadera for dining options - about 2 miles from that is the north side of downtown.

There's not really much good diving downtown though except at Scuba Lodge. Traffic could be a problem there with cruise ships in the harbor nearby.

Last edited:
If your plan is Marazul, you'll need to stop for food in Willemstad on the drive out, there's not much out there. Most people stop at Centrum Market first - a couple miles south of the airport in Piscadera.

We did this so we didn't have to go out every night, and it was fun to grill out, but there were plenty of places to eat in Westpunt if you didn't want to cook. There was Rancho El Sobrino, Sol Food (weekends), Jaanchie's, Blue View Restaurant, Trio Penotti, lunch/snack bar at GoWest, and Kura Hulanda Lodge (upscale) etc.. I'm sure there are others. The African peanut soup and coconut fish at Trio Penotti's was AWESOME.

Marazul isn't really a resort even though the website says it's one. It's just a managed group of condos with nice landscaping, pool, and shore access.
Sorry, don't mean to come off as a Curacao condo salesman. :dork2: Wife and I just really enjoyed our time there. Now if your looking for a place on Big Pine Key...naww, already sold it. That's why I can afford to dive travel now (money pit). :bounce::bounce::)

Last edited:
There are also lots of other less traveled places that you can lay back a bit, be together a lot and get a small number of dives in.

Saba & Bequia would be on the top on my list. Maybe St Lucia? Maybe not?

Heading to Curacao (Marazul) in April with my wife. First trip shore diving so we shall see how that goes. @DustyC when are you looking to go? I would more than happy to post a report for you when we get back.
December 2018, already have a trip planned for this winter.

Limited to shore diving in the Caribbean I can think of about 4-5 spots.

You've been to Bonaire - Curacao in many ways is a bigger Bonaire. With a lot more to do for your wife while you're diving.

Less shore diving but still similar conditions with much more to do on the surface - Aruba.

Grand Cayman has about 1/2 dozen shore dives - 3 of them have resorts on-site - LIghthouse Point, Cobalt Coast and Sunset House. There's also two condo properties on the north shore with shore dives (ladder provided) but they're 2br. Coconut Bay or Bonnie's Arch condos - named for the nearby dive site.

Also there's a high likelihood the north side will be blown out at least part of the time in Dec. - and it could be rougher anytime. Sunset House is the 3rd option - less weather dependent on the sw side - also a 10 min. walk to downtown.

There's a very few rental properties on St. Croix's north side - around Cane Bay Wall - that have shore access to it. Most list it on vrbo.com when they do. The Frederikstad Pier on the other side is a good shore dive also.

Roatan possibly has two options - Cocoview where your wife be be bored quickly or Media Luna which is a lot more isolated and quiet. I've never been to the latter. Since you mentioned it, the shore dive at Anthony's Key is more like a shallow walk with dive gear - it doesn't get deeper for maybe 200 yds. You can also muck dive in the channel between the Key and the main resort buidlings.

You might see if anything else here looks interesting: Be Alive... ShoreDive!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom