Need Helping Choosing Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrist

Reaction score
I've been reading these boards like crazy and have gleened a lot of information. I'd be interested to hear some people's opinions though based on my specific circumstances.

I've got a group of 4 people. Me and another person are divers, (I'm intermediate, Advanced IANTD, with about 75 dives under my belt, most of them in the cold waters of the Pacific Nortwest - Seattle) and my buddy is about as advanced as you can get, over 2,000 dives (90% in cold water), practically every certification, dives tri-mix to 200+ depths frequently. Both of us have done very little warm water diving. The other two people (a couple) are not divers and probably will not dive on the trip.

My date has to be the mid week of April and my destination options are limited based on availability of timeshare trades. We want to dive in the Caribbean at a place with excellent diving and very good dive companies. We'd like to do a variety of dives if possible including a wreck dive or two and a couple night dives. I want somewhere that the water is 80+ as I'd don't get cold easily and would prefer to take a break from a dry suit and dive in a shorty. We are not planning on doing deco dives.

The couple has been to Cancun/Cozumel area several times and prefers to go somewhere else. I've read up on many of the islands and looked at what I have a chance of trading my timeshare into and have come up with the following destination options.

Aruba
Bonaire
Curacao
Caymans
Belize
Turks & Caicos

At this point I'm leaning towards Aruba as it is the easiest place to get an exchange and appears to offer the most topside activities for the non-divers. Based on what I've read, from a diving standpoint, I'd rather visit Bonaire or the Caymans but I doubt I can trade for a place in Bonaire and the Caymans sounds very expensive.

Your opinions are appreciated.

I've been to Belize, Turks & Caicos, & the Caymans. All have excellent diving. Not a lot for non divers on T & C nor Belize if you're on Ambergris Caye like I was. The Caymans would probably be best (or Aruba, Bonaire).

Welcome to the board.

Bonaire has great diving but there is not much to do above water except snorkle, windsurf, eat or set around the pool. From what I have heard, trading time shares is almost impossible. Of the options you have above, I would opt for Curacao. Aruba is too touristy for me...it may work for you to keep the non-divers happy.

All of the places you mentioned are great. I am personally leading a trip to Aruba in late February for Moss Bay Divers here in Seattle. It should be a great trip. One of the main reasons we decided on Aruba was the plentiful topside activities (nightlife)

Whatever you choose have a great trip.

Julie

jcrist:
Aruba
Bonaire
Curacao
Caymans
Belize
Turks & Caicos

At this point I'm leaning towards Aruba as it is the easiest place to get an exchange and appears to offer the most topside activities for the non-divers. Based on what I've read, from a diving standpoint, I'd rather visit Bonaire or the Caymans but I doubt I can trade for a place in Bonaire and the Caymans sounds very expensive.

Your opinions are appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom