Need help with yellow split fin - Atomic, Apollo, Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
They served me well in Cozumel. I was able to zip around the reefs fairly well. In mild currents, I could get where I needed to go quickly and being a little shorter than my Tusa's I think it helped me keep from kicking people when things got crowded occasionally. I also had plenty of opportunity to try the helicopter kicks with them and that also worked, not as easily as with a blade, but it worked well enough.

The only time I questioned them was on the night dive. Our DM missed the reef and we had to swim against a moderate current for a few minutes. At that point I got a bit fatigued. The DM in her blade fins didn't seem to have any issue, but then again she is like 1/3 my size, in much better shape and dives there daily.

It bears noting that all the DMs and instructors I talked to in Cozumel did not wear split fins and felt they were not the fin to use for drift diving. The more seasoned instructor felt like they were just a marketing gimic.
Ya know...I get that "marketing gimmick" line also. And being the "open-minded always willing to try something new diver" that I am...snicker...when I was on a trip last month my buddy and I traded fins for a dive. She wore my Apollo Bio-fins and I wore her Tusa blade-style fins ( I realize that for arguments sake I should be able to tell you the exact model...but all I can tell you is that they were silver/black and quite cool looking. What can I say..chick divers...ANYWAY...)

She surfaced from the dive saying, "I LOVE your fins! They are awesome. I'm buying a pair!!!" And I surfaced from the dive saying, "GIMME back my Bio-fins!!!"

I just can't give them up. I've tried Deep Outdoors tech/wreck style short fins, and I've tried blade-style fins. I know that with my Bio-fins...I can dive day after day, and never feel leg fatigue, can get where I need to go on a dive. I just love 'em. If it's a marketing gimmick...I'm tricked because I really can't give them up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom