Need help with yellow split fin - Atomic, Apollo, Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torrey:
Are there any stats on the weight of all of these fins? I've been thinking about splits too, but a few people have said the weight of the Apollo's is a bit much for travel. Would there be that much of a difference if one were to get the Tusa's instead?

torrey: Apollo bio-fins are compession molded using 100% natural rubber. The bio-fins weigh between 6-8 lbs. per pair depending on size. Factory installed SS spring straps add about 14 ounces.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/index.htm

torrey:
Are there any stats on the weight of all of these fins? I've been thinking about splits too, but a few people have said the weight of the Apollo's is a bit much for travel. Would there be that much of a difference if one were to get the Tusa's instead?

Yeah I read that comment about the Apollo's being heavy as well and didn't really understand it. In my hands, there feels to be about a pound difference between the Apollo and Tusa. Maybe the difference is greater with smaller fins, but I'm dealing in the XL/LL sizes and the weight isn't that much different to me. I just put both fins on the scale and he is what I saw:

Tusa X-Pert Zoom (XL) w/aftermarket spring strap - 2.6lbs.
Apollo Bio-Fin Pro (LL) w/stock spring strap - 3.2lbs.
(not saying my scale is accurate, but at least consistent)

As far as packing, the Apollo's are much easier than my Zooms. The Zooms are a few inches longer and have a sizeable bend in the middle of them. That bend coupled with the length makes them take up a lot space in a bag. The Atomics were straight, but even longer than the same size Zooms. The Apollos, while heavier, are physically smaller and pack easier.

You are in Dallas, swing over to ScubaToys for a taste test like I did. Make sure you bring the cash though cuz you probably won't want to leave the pool without the Apollo's :)

Jarrett:
Yeah I read that comment about the Apollo's being heavy as well and didn't really understand it. In my hands, there feels to be about a pound difference between the Apollo and Tusa. Maybe the difference is greater with smaller fins, but I'm dealing in the XL/LL sizes and the weight isn't that much different to me. I just put both fins on the scale and he is what I saw:

Tusa X-Pert Zoom (XL) w/aftermarket spring strap - 2.6lbs.
Apollo Bio-Fin Pro (LL) w/stock spring strap - 3.2lbs.
(not saying my scale is accurate, but at least consistent)

As far as packing, the Apollo's are much easier than my Zooms. The Zooms are a few inches longer and have a sizeable bend in the middle of them. That bend coupled with the length makes them take up a lot space in a bag. The Atomics were straight, but even longer than the same size Zooms. The Apollos, while heavier, are physically smaller and pack easier.

You are in Dallas, swing over to ScubaToys for a taste test like I did. Make sure you bring the cash though cuz you probably won't want to leave the pool without the Apollo's :)
Wow---- 6-8 pounds???? Really??? I know your scale was different but the Apollo guys should have the accurate stats. No wonder I'm always over on weight and have to pay extra when I travel.

HOWEVER..that being said...I love my bio-fins. :) I have tried other fins and always go back...

HilaryRN71:
Wow---- 6-8 pounds???? Really??? I know your scale was different but the Apollo guys should have the accurate stats. No wonder I'm always over on weight and have to pay extra when I travel.

HOWEVER..that being said...I love my bio-fins. :) I have tried other fins and always go back...

HilaryRN71: He weighed one fin. We quoted a pair. His scale is accurate. Glad you enjoy your bio-fins. The all natural rubber material does make a difference.

Go-go bio-fin! I love my XT-Cs for cold water diving, and intend to buy another pair, the yellow ones (with spring straps, of course!) for warm water diving.

When I got to my DIR-F class I know I'll have to move over to Jets, but outside of classes and running drills I intend to keep using my bio-fins.

My wife and I both love our yellow Apollo Bios with the spring straps. The straps take a little getting used to, but they become very comfortable after a short break-in period. The fins are great. I used to get leg cramps on every dive, no matter how much exercise and stretching I did, but haven't had a single cramp while using the Apollos. They do weigh a bit more than other fins, but it's only noticeable on land. I am able to do a frog kick, and have even perfected my helicopter kick with them (yes folks, helicopter with a split fin). They have great power and acceleration, and are good in a current as long as you use the correct kick. A short range flutter kick seems to be the best. A typical scissor kick is almost useless with these fins. Just my experience, and I'm still a novice IMHO.

I also looked at the Atomics (I love my B2 regulator), but thought they were too long for the small boats that I like to dive from, and would only get in the way.

As another poster said, you won't go wrong with any of these fins. A lot of it has to do with personal preference. If you can, test them all before you make a decision.

Happy diving........

And another thing....................

If you decide on the Apollos with the C-strap, buy them PRE-INSTALLED. If you opt to do it yourself, you will probably hate the fins before you ever use them. I almost made that mistake, and then found the installation directions on line. Yikes!

My wife loves her Apollo Biofins. I have also used them several times. They are a nice, fast fin. And comfortable, too. As others have mentioned, they are solid rubber, so they are heavy for travel. But, they are also very durable. My wife will never dive without them so we made up for the weight by getting her a travel BC.

I also used the Atomics a while back once and I hated them. They felt stiff and a bit awkward.

Jarrett:
They are going with me to Cozumel on a 6 dive weekend trip next week. I am hoping they are as impressive there.

They served me well in Cozumel. I was able to zip around the reefs fairly well. In mild currents, I could get where I needed to go quickly and being a little shorter than my Tusa's I think it helped me keep from kicking people when things got crowded occasionally. I also had plenty of opportunity to try the helicopter kicks with them and that also worked, not as easily as with a blade, but it worked well enough.

The only time I questioned them was on the night dive. Our DM missed the reef and we had to swim against a moderate current for a few minutes. At that point I got a bit fatigued. The DM in her blade fins didn't seem to have any issue, but then again she is like 1/3 my size, in much better shape and dives there daily.

It bears noting that all the DMs and instructors I talked to in Cozumel did not wear split fins and felt they were not the fin to use for drift diving. The more seasoned instructor felt like they were just a marketing gimic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom