Need help with yellow split fin - Atomic, Apollo, Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to get a pair of yellow split fins with spring straps for visibility purposes. I've narrowed my choices down to Apollo, Atomic or Tusa X-pert Zooms, but I am having a hard time figuring out which one from there.

I have a size 13 foot and currently use (blue) Tusa X-pert Zoom fins. I like them and hear lots of recommendations for them, but I hear so many good things about the other two brands. Since I am getting a new set of fins I thought I might try another brand, but part of me says stick with what's known good.

The things I like that I hear about the Atomics is that they are stiffer and provide more control that the Tusa Zooms. Some say the Atomics are faster as well. Apollos on the other hand seem to win every shootout in terms of comfort and speed and are generally regarded as the fastest fin around.

The downsides are that the Atomics are very long in the XL size which makes the hard to pack. The downside I hear about the Apollos is that they feel like they are not there, can be over kicked with strong legs, and that due to their softness do not offer a lot of control.

If you have personal experience with one or more of these fins I would really appreciate your input on this. Thanks in advance.

Ok, a disclaimer upfront. I'm a newbie w/ only 50+ dives ("Arrggghhhh another blighter!") but I see you may be close to that number yourself. Almost all my dives have been w/ Apollo splits and yes, yellow ones (but just the regular strap, not springs). I can only compare them to my ScubaPro Jetfins but hey, that's a pretty solid fin to compare to. (I know folks will tell you there are previous threads to check out on this topic so check them out.)

You are a size 13? I'm on the plus side of 12. The Apollos have a very generous footpocket. Compared to the Jetfins...ah, there is no comparison. Plenty of room for your foot and a decent boot. Given how hard it is to use a fin if it hurts your foot, this is a critical feature. (I know, I know. Jetfin users are supposed to be proud of their blisters and blood.)

"They feel like they are not there"--and this is a problem? I've gotten leg cramps with the Jets, none with the Apollos. If you don't adjust your kick to the fin, sure you can over kick. That is the point though. If you don't work as hard and you don't breathe as much then hmmmm, you get more bottom time--yet you go faster with less work. Actually the speed thing is over-rated for me. Sure, they are fast but do I really need to fly by all those beautiful reef delights? No. It's hard to see the macro stuff at warp speed. (Actually, since I tend to dawdle and gawk with my buddy they are great for catching up on group dives!)

Not a lot of control? The only cold water dive I did was in spring runoff on the Deschutes River here in Oregon for an Earth Day cleanup sponsored by our local LDS (Central Oregon Diving--YAY!). It confirmed my status as a warmwater wank, but I had no problems with control and the river was certainly running hard that day. They work in current but yes, you need to get used to them a bit. I noticed they did great in Scuba mag's slalom contest for their fin testing last year. Not sure how that test is run but it would seem that control would be a factor.

Downside? They are natural rubber and a heavy fin. I know folks don't like that for travel but I've packed mine twice to Roatan now, along with a bc and all the etc. In the water the weight isn't a factor and I trim out pretty level. Diving 3 times a day for 2 weeks in July I never once, ever, came close to thinking my legs might be getting tired or cramped (and those younget DM's down there can drag you over the hurdles on some dives). Oh and a plus for yellow is how easy it is to stick with my buddy/wife who also uses a pair, they do stand out in a crowd.

I'd wager anyone who likes their Atomics or Tusas (or whatever works) will feel as good about their choice as I do with mine. Apollos do seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of fin though so you will hear negative comments (and not just from folks who have never used them). Can you tell though? I really love my mine.

Thanks wank, anyone else?

I certainly like the apollo. Don't know much about the others. I just think that they are pretty heavy so I normally leave them at home for traveling.

Honestly? You're mattress shopping at this point. They're all good fins and you'll ultimately be happy with any of them so long as they fit well. I've used two of the three and know what I would buy but the three are so alike, you're pretty much looking at personal brand preference. My answer won't necessarily be the right one for you.
If there's a big price or availability difference, that can be just as valid of a deciding factor as anything else when they are this similar. Buy a pair, be happily visible underwater and go for it.
(I'm cranky today by the way. But I honestly think with the Internet and such, we over shop options which don't ultimately make that much of a difference.)

I have the yellow Atomics with regular strap, and absolutely love them. The only issue I have had with them is that when I dive with someone who has other types, I have to make a conscious effort to take it easy, as they seem to be generate more momentum than non-splits, even though I'm not trying to "go fast". Just my .02.

I have the silver atomic splits which are stiffer then the yellow ones. I can do the frog kick with them but I'm still not quite sure if they work as well as my idi rockets. I have not been able go backwards with them like I can with the rockets. For straight flutter kicks nothing beats the split fins.

I really wish that I could push a button and have them morph into the style I need for the kicks I want to do.

I have owned all three. The Zooms are just too clumsy. The Apollo fins are great performers, but they are expensive and heavy. My current all-time favorite fins are the redesigned Atomic Full-Foot Split Fins - powerful, quick, light, precise, efficient, comfortable, and travel well (comes in yellow too). Additionally, the Atomic Full-Foots are perhaps the only splits I've used that work great for alternate kicking styles. I have no problems doing frog/reverse kicks, helicopter turns, etc (SWEET!). It may sound silly, but these fins have made such an impression on me that I don't think I could ever go back to using open heel fins for most of the diving that I do.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/2005_fin_test/5/

Well Scubatoys rocks once again...

I go in today and basically ask the same question to them as my first post. Their answer? Get in the pool and find out :) Larry wasn't there, but his advice continued to ring true. "Two minutes in the pool is better than 300 hours on the Internet" Here are my findings from a back to back test in the pool for a good while:

Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins (XL/Yellow) - These are yellow versions of my current fin. They felt just like mine. Good thrust, decent manuverability, just a good compromise split fin. If you are hesitant to spend the upcharge for the Apollo fins, these are 90% as good of a fin I think. A nice medium between the Atomic and Apollo leaning more towards the Apollos but for considerably less.

Atomic Aquatics Split Fins (XL/Yellow) - Stiff! They felt like blades almost. That really surprised me. I assumed they would be similar to the Tusa's but they had a lot more stiffness. Although the manuverability was better than the Tusa's, the speed didn't feel the same. Like it took more work and longer to get to the same speeds. I think this would be a good fin for people trying to make the move from blade to split. It was an eye opener going between these and the Apollos.

Apollo Bio Fin Pro with C-Strap (L-Large/Yellow) - These fins blew me away. I preferred them hands down over the other two. They are so fast and effortless I couldn't believe it. I know it sounds silly, but using the same kicks as with the other fins I had to be careful not to run myself into the sides of the pool. They are deceptively fast. A little bit goes a long way and a lot will get you moving much faster than you wanted to go.

The manuverability seemed slightly less than with the Tusa's and a good bit less than with the Atomics, but I could still make nice tight corners and turn myself (helicopter kick?) in a circle when needed which is plenty for my rec diving. Plus they dont have the funky Tusa bend and they are a good deal shorter than either of the other two which is good for packing. They are heavier though and I am interested to see what they do for my bouyancy on a dive since they are negative. But after a few minutes in the pool, I was sold on them and didn't want to leave the store without them. They are going with me to Cozumel on a 6 dive weekend trip next week. I am hoping they are as impressive there.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone. Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

Are there any stats on the weight of all of these fins? I've been thinking about splits too, but a few people have said the weight of the Apollo's is a bit much for travel. Would there be that much of a difference if one were to get the Tusa's instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom