Need help with wet suit size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bellaleo

Registered
Reaction score
i live in a small town called friuthurst in north
# of dives
0 - 24
hello i am new to diveing and i wont to buy a wetsuit i am 5'10 i weigh 250 i have 46 inch hips a 40 inch waist and a 58 INCH BUST then in lies my problem can i buy a wet suit off the rack or will i have to have one custom made and if i do where can i get one with out paying a arm and a leg

thanks bella

Bella, a custom wetsuit would certainly be a good choice if you can afford it (it's not all that more expensive actually). I can also point you to the BARE website where they have a sizing chart with many options. See if any in there would fit you.BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection

Once you find a manufacturer that may have a size that would fit you, make sure you can go try it on first before buying. Fit is super important in a wetsuit and if that means buying a custom suit, you might just need to spend the extra $$ and do it. Besides, it's a long term investment, so the extra $$ will be well spent on a custom suit.

Good luck!:coffee:

You can try a hyperstretch suit which can stretch 250% their original size. You might go one size higher, and see if you can get the arms and legs cut and sewn with a stitch that can stretch or glue the seams with aquaseal.

I second the hyper stretch idea or you could opt for a pinnacle elastoprene suit. I know some divers with odd proportions that fit into these suits well.

One option is to alter an off the rack wet-suit, I have had some alterations done to wet-suits by Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits. She can add material in some places and take in other, she does great work and can add zippers and other neat additions.

Bella,
Henderson I know does custom wetsuits, they are not cheap but they do a very good job. We have sold Henderson suits for 20+ years and their customs fit very well. Bare is my first choice I just don't think they have a suit that would fit off the rack and they do not do customs in wetsuits.

Bella,

IF you can get an off the rack suit that fits nothing beats walking out with it as a done deal. Bare has a very broad line as mentioned, I believe Harveys also has extended sizing but it looks like neither will accommodate you. No need to fret.

A custom suit is the way to go. One measured and built to fit you like it should will cost about the same as a premium off the rack item so cost is not an issue here. Getting it to fit right is the next trick. We have had considerable experience with custom suits and while they are a wonderful solution it's not always a perfect fit first time around. Being near Florida you have several options more available than to many of us.

In order of preference:

1. Go to the maker and be measured and fit. Lets face it, many who want such a suit are not proportioned by the book and 32 measurements just doesn't always capture it all.

2. Find a maker with local representation by a dive shop that will do the measurements and manage any adjustments. How the measurements are taken are critical to fit. Having them done by someone that understands how the maker will translate them helps a lot.

3. Do your own measurements at home and order the suit. This can be done but be very clear about how they want things measured. A wetsuit should be sized to fit with a hint of compression over most of your body. You need to understand who is adjusting the measurements to make the suit just a tad smaller than you.

A hyper stretch suit can be a good solution for a marginal fit but to suggest exploiting it to anything close to 250% is a bad idea. As a suit stretches it gets thinner and hence less protective. It is also under much greater stress and will not last.

Custom tailoring or modifying a wetsuit can be done but materials are hard to find and on a large scale making it look right without the right equipment will be hard. I suggest not going there, at least on the first go round. Start with something simple like adjusting the fit of a hood.

We have had good luck with Atlan and Liquidfit. I do give Atlan an edge on cold water suits. Exploring their sites will give you some idea of the measuring process. There are custom houses in Florida that I would urge you to explore making a personal visit to.
Getting this right is vital to you comfort, safety and pleasure as a diver so don't sell yourself short. Do whatever it takes to get it right.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom