Need help with weight belt use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is a weight belt sags when you put it on standing up, so it never properly tightens. I always tighten again once underwater and horizontal. Using a rubber belt this can be minimized.

That's exactly the problem. I typically put my belt on in the in-water staging area and then tighten it while underwater. That helps a bit with the slipping, but less so with the twisting. Maybe I should donate some rubber weight belts to the aquarium. They are in pretty dire need of new equipment.

That's exactly the problem. I typically put my belt on in the in-water staging area and then tighten it while underwater. That helps a bit with the slipping, but less so with the twisting. Maybe I should donate some rubber weight belts to the aquarium. They are in pretty dire need of new equipment.

Rubber Weight Belt With Wire Buckle

This is the type I've been using for over 30years. Once it is adjusted properly, it stays where you put it.

ETA: Not too worried about needing to drop weight in an emergency in this situation, so this may be the way I go.

If you are underwater with more weight than you can float with, it behooves you to have easily dichable weight for you safety. Drowning happens in a lot shallower water than you are in, minimizing the risk is foolish.

A few months ago I started volunteering on the dive team at our aquarium. We dive on hookah and wear weight belts plus wetsuits, boots, fins, gloves, and (of course) masks. Obviously, it's shallow, so most of us wear at least 20 lbs in the pocket-style belts so that we can more easily stay down and clean. (This is what the volunteer dive coordinator has told us to do. Normally in the ocean I wear 14 lbs when diving in full gear with 3 mm wetsuit.) Quite often we're either hovering very near the bottom or literally on our knees to reach into certain areas. I'm really struggling with the belt and wonder if anyone can give me pointers.
I think what you are facing is the nature of that type of belt. Tough to get fully tight, and the weights can move a bit as you work making it loose. I had a neoprene pocket belt I used to use years ago. That seemed to stick a bit better. Maybe because the neoprene would stretch a bit, but it could still move around.

Thanks! If the harness doesn't work, I may try the belt. I'd pretty much have to use the aquarium's weights, so if I go that route I'll need to get some measurements.
Before you buy a harness or belt, you might want to make sure you can use it.

I volunteer at a marine rescue hospital/aquarium as well. We are allowed to bring our own masks, a watch/wrist computer, and gloves/booties, but everything else needs to be aquarium gear. We use tanks and Scuba gear. BCs are weight integrated, so that helps. They want to minimize personal gear in case something breaks. That way, at least they know what to look for.

The problem is a weight belt sags when you put it on standing up, so it never properly tightens. I always tighten again once underwater and horizontal. Using a rubber belt this can be minimized.
Exactly. Retighten the belt once you are horizontal in the water. You can do even do it on the surface, although you might need to do it again at depth depending on your wetsuit.

I've only used the standard nylon webbing belts and they are fine after I've tightened then once or twice.

Rubber Weight Belt With Wire Buckle

This is the type I've been using for over 30years. Once it is adjusted properly, it stays where you put it.

If you are underwater with more weight than you can float with, it behooves you to have easily dichable weight for you safety. Drowning happens in a lot shallower water than you are in, minimizing the risk is foolish.

I definitely agree. I'm still floaty in the tanks even with so much weight. It's easy to stay down while holding onto something lightly, but if something were to happen, I'd float. We also dive in teams and have eyes outside of the tanks.

Thanks for the link!

Exactly. Retighten the belt once you are horizontal in the water. You can do even do it on the surface, although you might need to do it again at depth depending on your wetsuit.

I've only used the standard nylon webbing belts and they are fine after I've tightened then once or twice.

I think if we were horizontal more often, this wouldn't be such a problem. I think that's why I don't have much trouble in the turtle tank. It's very open, so I'm horizontal a lot of the time with the main exception of feeding the puffer fish. (He has to be hand fed because otherwise the permits and angelfish take his food.) In the other tank we're often more upright which causes the belt to slip down and move around more.

Send me a pm of the name of the facility, the address and a person that is to receive the belt and I will donate two MAKO belts to the aquarium. If you would rather have the belts shipped to your home, that is fine as well.

Thanks

dano

Send me a pm of the name of the facility, the address and a person that is to receive the belt and I will donate two MAKO belts to the aquarium. If you would rather have the belts shipped to your home, that is fine as well.

Thanks

dano

You're amazing! Thank you! I'll send you a PM.

Hmmm....I'm at a loss as to how to send a PM! I posted a message on @MAKO Spearguns, but I don't think I did it correctly. LOL! And I'm supposed to be the tech person in the family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom