Need Help with two pics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The first is a question about what species this is.

The second is, "What should I do to improve the dynamics of this photo?"
I like it better than any that I have taken, but I want to learn what to look for prior to the shutter closing.

The first pic is from an Octopus Garden. I haven't been able to identify this species.

Wow!
That's really an odd looking fellow.
Where was the photo taken? Depth? Water temp? Have you seen more of 'em or is this a "single?"
I like the photo the way it is. If wishes were horses... I'd get lower and get a bit more forward - but it's a great shot as is.
Rick

I can't begin to even guess what that is! I take it the pointy end on the left is his face? With general boxy body shape and that pointy mouth, if I had to guess I'd say some sort of trunk fish. Except that the fins blow it all out of the water!

You say it was taken in Octopus' Garden...where is that? water temp? depth?

I would get a little lower, at least eye level if not just below and shoot up a smidge. I'd also try to get a full body side-on shot for ID purposes.

Please let us know if you find out what it is!

The pic was taken in about 250feet of water on Clover Island in Alaska. The fish was very odd. On the first dive, I spotted the fish, but had the wrong framer for the size. I bounced and changed framers and left a friend to keep up with the little bugger. The fish didn't swim at all. It walked on it's pectoral fins and only lowered its tail when it stopped moving.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
The pic was taken in about 250feet of water on Clover Island in Alaska. The fish was very odd. On the first dive, I spotted the fish, but had the wrong framer for the size. I bounced and changed framers and left a friend to keep up with the little bugger. The fish didn't swim at all. It walked on it's pectoral fins and only lowered its tail when it stopped moving.

I'm more worried about the bounce to change framers and leaving your friend at 250ft than I am about ID'ing that fish! :eek:

That kind of coloring at that depth... truly unusual - I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have an undescribed species here. It'd be nice to study 'em in situ, but a sample is probably required.
Rick

We discovered 4 new species of nudibranchs. (I only found one new species, but the group I was diving with was finding them all the time. They found 3 new species while I was diving with them.) I never found a good source for finding out about fish. I knew quite a few from the commercial fishing aspect, but the small stuff like this guy kept me curious. There were so many things there that were not easily identifiable.
We were fortunate enough to find sponges larger than Volkswagons.

That is a grunt skulpin. They are quite common in the Puget Sound, but in much shallower water. I mean, they may exist at 250', but I'm not going to look for them there!

-becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom