Need help with FLA dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan:
Thanks Scuba_Jenny for the info - where can I buy Ned's guide? You write: "Beach diving on the west coast is shark tooth diving in Venice." Do you mean there are shark problems on the west coast?
Dan
Neds Book.

Venice claims to be the shark tooth capitol and many sharks teeth can be found along the beaches and via diving.
I do not worry about sharks while diving.

jokeborn:
Do you want salt or fresh; does it matter? Salt-I enjoyed the boiler wreck in Vero Beach. Fresh-there are numerous springs throughout the state to enjoy. Many are in state parks and many of us have the year membership to the parks that allow us to get in free with up to 8 people in the car. Let me know if you decide you want to try one of those.

Yes, I enjoy fresh or salt water diving. Is there a section here for spring diving?

Dan

fookisan:
Am open to any local from top to bottom of state.

Dan

Morrison Spring is free to dive, its located in the panhandle(sorta north of Panama City). Cypress is free to dive as well, but you'll need to bring/rent a canoe to get to it. Panama City, Destin, and Pensacola all have jetties that make fun dives and will have several tropicals if you want some easy/cheap/fun saltwater dives.

Hey there, We are going to be cleaning up the reefs in Stuart Florida. its close to West Palm and there are some magnificent reefs there. You are welcome to join us
and participate. If you dont mind helping out I can assure you a free ride with one of the boats and youll have allot of fun and meet some interesting people.
Also if you have any exspenses such as refills and equipment it will be tax deductible.
we are going to holding the event on Saturday June 4th and there will be a cook out afterwards. check out our site for more info.. My contact info is on our site as well.
thanks and hope to see you there.

fookisan:
I thought the Keys would be good for beach diving. Is snorkeling bad in the keys as well, as my kid does not dive, but he snorkels? What about Key Largo and the Pennekamp nature park?

Dan

But IMO it would be highly worth doing a boat dive, and spending the $$$ even if it's just one day. You could likley do a half day boat trip that combined snorkeling and diving for under $150 for the family. If your kid and wife have never snorkeled over a reef, this would be a memory of a lifetime for them IMO well worth the $$. When we get down to FL in July my non-diving wife and son are definatley going to do at least on boat trip. Snorkeling generally runs about $35 for a 1/2 day per person.

Based on Ned's book, in the upper keys the closest diving is about 1 mile off shore at Chaves. As you head south, the keys get farther from the reef, and the closest dive sits of the southern keys are closer to five miles out based on the Diving Guide.

Maybe it's worth doing some snorkeling off the shores down there in a few spots. I have snorkeled off the shores of Key West, and you will see fish, but there is no reef.

Have Fun!

fookisan:
I thought the Keys would be good for beach diving. Is snorkeling bad in the keys as well, as my kid does not dive, but he snorkels? What about Key Largo and the Pennekamp nature park?

Dan

At Lauderdale-by-the-Sea,from the beach, you can dive while your kid snorkles above you. You can get the book a Amazon.com .

I absolute LOVE the diving in Florida! Jealous of you locals.....

I found This site it may help you out. The trouble (I'm sure you know this) is that scuba is an expensive hobby, wither we are talking equipment or the dives themselves. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go for it!!

Have fun!!

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Am going to buy Ned's book and also was told about a The Springs of FLA by Doug Stamm. Is the Springs book worthwhile?

Thanks again for all your help.

Dan T

PS - Out of May, June or July which is the best on average for diving in FLA?

fookisan:

Dan
All of the good dive and snorkel spots in the Keys are well offshore... accessible only by boat. Pennekamp does have a few manmade "beaches", but they don't compare with the real thing up in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. Enjoy!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom