Need Help with Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I looked at the Canon A710 IS and the ikelite housing which I like. What kind of strobe package would work best for this set-up? the one ikelite recommends on their site costs like 1,100 for just the strobe and arm. That costs more than the camera and housing put together.

Expect to pay for a good strobe. It will likely be as much or more than your compact and housing :) BUT a good strobe will last for years and years and will move from one system to the next so you should only have to buy it once. Some strobe options are listed in the pink link - Ike, Sea & Sea and Inon are the three biggies.

There are less expensive options out there.

All photography is light.

Make good decisions now.

The Ikelite housing is great, but may in fact be more than you need if you are not going to add lenses in the future and if you are only using the rig a few times per year. The Canon housings are great but some (the one you are looking at) have oval ports and this means no adding wet mate lenses.

alcina:
Expect to pay for a good strobe. It will likely be as much or more than your compact and housing :) BUT a good strobe will last for years and years and will move from one system to the next so you should only have to buy it once. Some strobe options are listed in the pink link - Ike, Sea & Sea and Inon are the three biggies.

There are less expensive options out there.

All photography is light.

Make good decisions now.

The Ikelite housing is great, but may in fact be more than you need if you are not going to add lenses in the future and if you are only using the rig a few times per year. The Canon housings are great but some (the one you are looking at) have oval ports and this means no adding wet mate lenses.
Canon housings work and are cheap. The Ikelite is damn ex..but it allows you to attach external lenses with minimal fuss. Ed has fit a round lens onto his oval port and you gotta ask him how it's done. :p so external lenses can still fit onto your canon marine housing.

I'd go with Inon. Perhaps i'm biased but since I got my strobe I'm wondering how I survived so long without one!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanna find out from everyone their opinion of the Canon Powershot G7 as an UW camera and what strobes would work well with it.

skywalk:
Canon housings work and are cheap. The Ikelite is damn ex..but it allows you to attach external lenses with minimal fuss. Ed has fit a round lens onto his oval port and you gotta ask him how it's done. :p so external lenses can still fit onto your canon marine housing.

I'd go with Inon. Perhaps i'm biased but since I got my strobe I'm wondering how I survived so long without one!

Which strobe do you use with your camera?

If you're using the Canon housing, it does not have a bulkhead for a wired sync connection, so you will need the fiber optic cable. As far as I know, the tray has the standard 1/4" screw mount that should fit the housing. You just need to have an attachment point on the housing for the other end of the fiber optic cable. If it came down to it, you could just even tape it down if needed, but they come with a reflector mount that is designed to clamp onto the housing diffuser.

If I wanted to low-ball on my strobe for now would a Sealife SL 960D attach to that same housing?

ok, one last question for y'all. If I bought a Ikelite housing for a Canon A640 am I stuck with only using their (Ikelite) strobes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom