Need Help with Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a 35mm Sea&Sea MX5 II with YS-90 strobe. I've not been happy with my over all results (usually only get a couple good photos out of a roll) and want to up-grade to a digital camera. I dive in Florida mostly in the Gulf and springs. I am looking for some advice on what direction to maybe go. I know that I need a good strobe to get good Photos. Just am confused with all the diferent ways to go. I really don't want to spend over $1,000. Is it possible to get good quality photos with a camera/strobe at that price?

Digital doesn't necessarily solve any problems in and of itself, but it depends on what specifically you are unhappy with about your photos.

Some end up too close, too blue, hazy, just plain not clear, or too much backscatter. I know that with a digital I can instantly look in the view finder and move closer or further away to get that quality photo

That is certainly a benefit - the quick feedback. Backscatter is generally a result of your strobe being too close to your camera, so having a longer strobe arm can help reduce the backscatter. As well, you can adjust white balance on a digital, or if shooting in RAW mode, you can set it after the fact. The haziness or unclearness could be a function of a number of things - quality of the lens, inaccurate focusing, too slow shutter speed, etc.

Yes, there are quite a few options out there that would get you started!

Head to the Pink Link in my signature for some ideas on models - there are links to discussions and images on the different choices that will be a good start to your buying plan!

Have a look at things and come ask questions as you narrow it down - we love to help you spend da money!

I really don't want to spend my entire dive messing with my camera. any recommendations on a digital point and shoot with good functions that produce as good as it gets without total manual camera settings?

I would still say go for something like the Canon A series. You don't ever have to turn the dial to M (manual) but it's there if you decide you want to. And manual setting doesn't mean flipping the dials all the time - it is unusual for me to change settings very often at all on a dive when I use one of these compacts :wink:

These cameras have several preset modes as well as manual white balance. Manual white balance is very useful and pretty easy.

If you absolutely are against having a camera capable of manual settings, maybe the Canon SD range.

alcina:
I would still say go for something like the Canon A series.

Second vote for the Canon A series. Both Canon ($170) and Ikelite ($400) make housings for it. If you went for the Canon housing you'd still have plenty left over for a decent strobe. The only problem I've found is that a slave strobe can be a real pain.

If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a Canon G series (G7 is currently $450) and an Ikelite housing ($600). I'd forgo the strobe and make due with the built-in flash until I could afford a nice strobe. eTTL sure would be nice.

But for just $650 you can get an A640, Canon housing, and cheap slave strobe and still get great shots.

I was looking on the Canon site. Is the Canon powershot A710 IS a good pick?

i'm using the A640 and I chose it over the 710 because it uses AA batteries. if you wanna see some pics u can check out my first virgin run with that camera at lhbc.multiply.com
the G7 is also a very good camera...but more pricey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom