need help Uwatec Smartcom vs Aladin Air-Z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I am looking for an AI dive com and narrow the choice down to the two above. Both are similarly priced. I don't care much about the Nitrox capability right now and don't see myself using it in the near future. I like the idea of hoseless connection on the Air-Z but was wondering about the Microbubbles thing on the Smartcom. I am a recreational diver and with my work, I would be lucky to go away for 3 straight days of diving. I was considering Suunto but has some doubt about support I would get from LDS in town.
Also for people who use hoseless AI. Do you all have a backup analog pressure gauge attached to your 2nd HP port (if available) or is the backup unneccesary. I use all kinds of wireless gadgets but once in awhile, I still am a bit worry about not having some kind of hardwire monitoring, especially when my life could be depending on it :)

G'day
I have been using Uwatec since I started diving and have never had any problem with them. I recentley upgraded from the AirX Nitrox to the AirZ Nitrox and love it.

I only ever carry a spare analouge SPG when doing technical or Deco diving, the rest of the time just use the computer.

http://www.uwatec.com

Hi SSRA30

I just got the SmartCom console. No complaints. My laptop does not have an infrared port, so I can't download the dive info yet. But I love the features. :boom:

Okay,

Maybe I'm nuts but all the posts re: which computer is best, left me confused so I bought them all...kind of. I bought a Vytec AI, a hosed SmartCom, and an Air Z Nitrox AI. I dove all of them during a couple of live-a-board trips and here is what I found. I LOVE hoseless AI. But I felt really insecure about the reliability, so I bought the Smartcom after I bought the Air Z. It's really nice having almost identical displays to look at. One on the wrist and one on a hose. The SmartCom displays temp which the Air Z does not. Also found the Level 5 Bubble Suppression to be way way conservative. Level 3 works for me and I can choose to ignore it and it will "cascade down" to the next level anyway. I got the Vytec because I wanted to try the other top AI system out there and like the gas switching ability. I really like the automatic countdown during the 15' safety stop. I did find the wrist unit display much harder to read than the Uwatec. I thought I might end up with this unit as my primary and use a Stinger as a back-up but scrapped that idea because I really want a pressure guage back-up when I use hoseless AI. I thought that the Air Z with a Scubapro Mini VIP analog guage might be the ticket so I bought the VIP...however soon swapped it back out for the SmartCom because the infrared connection to my laptop is so nice. So for now it looks like I will be EBAYing the Vytec and it's transmitter. I'll keep the analog VIP as a back-up in my dive bag.

Thanks for all the input. I think either would work but still a bit uncomfortable with having hoseless AI dive com as the only device. I think the Smartcom is probably the way to go and who knows, when Uwatec release a hoseless version of smartcom :)

Maybe my thinking is all wrong on this, but for you guys who go hoseless, and then use a typical SPG on your other HP port, I think you missing the boat on the primary safety feature of hoseless.

I am thinking about going hoseless AI for the safety benefit of NOT having any HP hose. I had an HP hose burst on my boat a couple of days ago, just before a diver went down. At 100', and the end of the dive, it would not be a good scenerio.

People will say that they don't trust the hoseless set-up for various reasons, which are understandable. But I'll tell you this: If I have the choice between my hoseless AI going haywire, and an HP hose bursting, I'll take the malfunctioning computer ANY DAY.

Tampascott

I understand your point but I think that it all depends on your previous experiences with equipment. I guess I am a bit more backward since I first started diving about 19 years ago but then quit 15 years ago and only recently resuming the hobby again. So this whole hoseless AI is very new to me so I am a bit more apprehensive about it. Like anything new, I am always a bit worry and take something as basic and as lifesaving as a pressure gauge, I am still a little uncomfortable with not having a backup of some sort. Even on Uwatec website, there is a little warning that certain electronics such as strobe, etc can disrupt the communication between the port and teh computer, no matter how short a time it is, I think I might still be worried. Also elsewhere someone had reported some problems while doing a wreck dive. Somehow, my feeling is that the rate of problem occuring with conventional analog gauge will be somewhat less frequent than electronic gauge, if nothing else, the conventional gauge should be able to take a lot more abuse before it break down. May be someone who is very familiar with hoseless AI and have one for a long time can share some thought on this.

Tampa I agree
I have been using the Uwatec AI's for the last 6 years, I have never had one fail or lose connection between the transmitter and the console. Even when using Powerful strobes and video lighting.

I carry an SPG on Deco dives on the second tank only in case of a failure I can monitor the air in the tank should I have to close the Manifold.

I have been witness to three HP hoses blowing one was mine in 100ft+ in the last 5 years. hence I do not carry a SPG on my recreational kit.

And besides having only two hoses from the first stage is great, one for my Mares Ruby and one for my ScubaPro Air2.

Back
Top Bottom