New computer with vibrating alarms recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats interesting. I would think that at 80% tissue load (I assume this is in the leading compartment) in normal circumstances there would be very little NDL time left.. What were the conditions where it alerted while you still had so much time?

I am not excusing Garimin's approach of not alerting based on time, which is ridiculous, but I am curious as to how these examples come about.
I imagine it would be a shallow, long dive.

That's what I thought also, or perhaps a multi-level dive where you spend a lot of time in the shallows towards the end of the dive (like in Bonaire). But under those circumstances an alert would be pretty meaningless anyway.

How does it behave on a typical deeper dive (60' or more)? Is the alert closer to the end of the remaining NDL?

That's what I thought also, or perhaps a multi-level dive where you spend a lot of time in the shallows towards the end of the dive (like in Bonaire). But under those circumstances an alert would be pretty meaningless anyway.
Agreed.
How does it behave on a typical deeper dive (60' or more)? Is the alert closer to the end of the remaining NDL?
20% of a small number is smaller than 20% of a big number. So deeper (i.e., faster tissues controlling) will give a more useful result, but still not what you want.

The entire alerting strategy is wrong, as numerous posters have said. You don't even want to know your status at 80%....you want to know time left before NDL. If Garmin wants to forewarn you, then alert at 5 mins left, or whatever.

No. I most often see the alert at my favourite dive site which gets to 22m. I normally dive it on 32% and the alert comes up with around 30 minutes of NDL remaining!

I haven't dived any deeper than this since I've had the Mk1. I did do a dive at the site recently where I purposely left the Mk1 on Air because I wanted to see the deco information it displays. Unfortunately, I don't remember the alert coming up, but I assume it would have been closer as I hit "deco" after 32 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom