Need help to find dive agency in Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also ended up staying with Hippocampus, nice people there and good foods! I stayed in a fan room, was very reasonably priced as well. And quiet / peaceful.

just came back from Malapascua, was invited by some friends at Exotic.

I did not like anything related to the resort. we had many small and big messed up things. For the charged price it is ridiculous. that includes transfer, rooms (room was NOT cleaned once in 3 days... the bed sheet was straightened but that's it), food (the same dish tasted different each time, from good to barely eatable), front-desk assistance, andandand. 3300 peso for a room and that service and management is insane. 2000 - 2500 would be appropriate.

The dive operation was very professional, clean, safe, good rental equipment, guides and mamangement..
A bit too PADI-selling-orientated. My host was not allowed to go to Monad Shoal as a OW (fair enough, it's a "deep" dive with 21-27 meters). so they only allowed it when doing the AOW course. Also no problem, he signed up even he wanted to make it with me, but ok...

Just strange that the first dive for him was on Gato and they (actually his canadian Instructor) took him as an OW to 24 Meters in strong current.... It's for me just annoying to tell somebody rules just to sell but do something different.

Anyway I still recommend the dive-operation.
resort for that price a NONO for me in the future.

next stop there will also be Hippocampus

you guys should try teppanee resort instead. its run by an italian couple and looks very rustic from the outside.
the rooms itself are very well decorated with wood and stone - beautiful but definitely not primitive. they have a/c and warm water and their bathrooms are nicley made.
the husband, andrea, is into construction and wood carving thus the great design and look.
i believe they dont have a websit which is unfortunate.
but they are connected with diveline cebu who usually handles the diving of their guests.
highly recommended

you guys should try teppanee resort instead. its run by an italian couple and looks very rustic from the outside.
the rooms itself are very well decorated with wood and stone - beautiful but definitely not primitive. they have a/c and warm water and their bathrooms are nicley made.
the husband, andrea, is into construction and wood carving thus the great design and look.
i believe they dont have a websit which is unfortunate.
but they are connected with diveline cebu who usually handles the diving of their guests.
highly recommended

oops double post again
sorry

Thanks for the help! A little worried about diving with TSD as i've read some negative reviews about them..Have looked at all the websites emailed both agencies and Sea Explorers seems to be more organised and efficient. Rates doesn't differ much..so most likely going for Explorers.

Can you point me in the direction of these reviews or elaborate a little please. I am planning a trip with these guys towards the end of the year......

I dived with TSD when I went there. Sea Explorers did look a lot more organized.

In what way ? In the dive centre, or on the boats/under water ?

Can you point me in the direction of these reviews or elaborate a little please. I am planning a trip with these guys towards the end of the year......

In what way ? In the dive centre, or on the boats/under water ?

I thought that TSD had great dive guides, but in my experience the filipino dive guides have always been very good.

The other issues with TSD were relatively minor and may have been fixed since I was there over a year and a half ago. Little things like the way dives were scheduled, meals for day trips, etc... If you're planning a trip with them, I would make sure to nail everything down in writing ahead of time and bring a copy with you.

I personally will never dive with them again, but many people here have dived with them and like them. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt... to a point :wink:

I thought that TSD had great dive guides, but in my experience the filipino dive guides have always been very good.

The other issues with TSD were relatively minor and may have been fixed since I was there over a year and a half ago. Little things like the way dives were scheduled, meals for day trips, etc... If you're planning a trip with them, I would make sure to nail everything down in writing ahead of time and bring a copy with you.

I personally will never dive with them again, but many people here have dived with them and like them. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt... to a point :wink:

I hope you gave them your feed back while you were there. If you won't dive with them again it must have been more than minor issues.

I have dived with TSD the last six years so I consider them as much friends as a dive operation I frequent. I give them grief and they dish it right back. I did dive with Sea Explorers once and have no complaints just that the German divers are a pretty quite stoic bunch - too much like myself maybe. :D I have rarely arranged a dive package with any shop in the Philippines other than a live-aboard. I'm more of a "al a carte" diver which is fairly easy to do in the Philippines. I actually have problems with some shops not scheduling enough dives in a day. I have had to beg for night dives because they've been short a dive guide and just me for a night dive even though it's on their house reef. I look for a place that has a minimum of 4 dives including a night dive each day. I believe all the shops on Malapascua qualify when there are enough divers and weather is good. When I dived with Sea Explorers the schedule and boat were set and you either signed up or not.

TSD dive scheduling has taken some getting used but I have adapted. They will usually post dive locations associated with boats for the next day by mid day of the previous. They usually have a hodge podge of divers and sometimes groups and this way they adjust to weather conditions and interest, etc. I am more than familiar the sites on Malapascua so I encourage them to dive certain sites while I am there. So you do need to visit the shop and check the schedule thru the day in case there is no interest for a site, equipment changes or weather changes. Speak up if you want to dive a certain site.

TSD now has a restaurant and will usually remind you to order lunch for a day trip to Gato or Nunez - or you could get your own at any other restaurant. They're striving for a small changing menu with faster service. I personally like Ging Ging's for breakfast - onion and tomato omelet and banana pancakes with two cokes for about 124 pesos. Their service is slow so plan ahead and you can forget about a quick meal if there are more than six people dining.

I would recommend Cocobana resort as a place to stay. They are close to TSD and Sea Explorers and honor reservations. They have rooms from 800 pesos (fan only) to air con and on the beach not sure of price as I'm a budget traveler when it comes to a bed for the night. I spend my money on diving. I've heard that Kuan Bar (or Wobbly Boot Resort) is slowly getting back into shape - another lower price alternative but away from the beach and a bit of a walk (10 minutes to TSD and 5 min. to Sea Explorers).

Anyway you can mark me down as biased towards TSD.:D

Heehee, u can mark me down as biased towards Exotic! No complaints both times I was there & don't see a need to change dive operator/ resort but then both times, I had the "cheapest" fan room. ;-)
Yes, Ging Ging provides meals at a more reasonable price. Exotic Restaurant prices are like euro pricing & Ging Ging is usd. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom