Need help on choosing photosoftware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but that just doesn't fly. I have several card readers and you lose important functionality if you use them vs. the wizard. Specificly automatic file renaming/numbering.

In addition, buying additional hardware in order to get back part the functionality you used to have before a piece of software trashed your system isn't an acceptable solution.

James

The high-end solution is Photoshop CS.

You can try it out for free at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=39

With Photoshop you can do as much or as little as you want. Just about every picture can use a quick levels or sharpening of the subject. Going one step further, getting rid of backscatter is a lot easier with Photoshop's Healing Brush and Patch tools (much better than a simple clone stamp). The Shadow/Highlight function is great for getting rid of shadows without washing out the whole image. When you really want to salvage a pic, Photoshop has the horsepower to do it.

But, Photoshop is an investment both in dollars and time. For $650 you could buy a better camera or take a trip. Also, becuase Photoshop is a Mac import (and all Mac users tend to get everything assbackwards--j/k), it has a totally different look and feel from anything in the Windows family.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up buying the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 & Photoshop Album 2.0. I could not afford the full blown CS version, but this will do everything that as a beginner I need it to do.

Now to find enough hours in the day to dive, take pictures and play with them. LOL

Zuzanne

zuzanne:
I need to purchase a photo software package for my desktop computer. I need one that will give me good results using photos scanned onto computer from Sea & Sea underwater 35 mm camera (will be either scanning printed photos or downloading from picture cd roms) as well as photos downloaded from my Kodak digital camera. I am new to photo editing so need all the help and recommendations I can get.
I have an HP computer/scanner & printer, use Windows XP for operating system.

Zuzanne
Hi- I do mostly video work, but have had very good results with Firehand Ember. You can get a free trial thingie, and then buy if you like, in stages, or get the whole package for about $90.00. Quite frankly, I've not used all the things they have, but have had good results with what I've used. :05: Best to ya'!

DivemasterJoe:
Sea Yoda, Manipulate raw CCD files with The Gimp 2.0 I can using the software at http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ . As for The Gimp 2.0 on Widows 98 SE, I know not how the influence of The Dark Side may effect the ease with which images are manipulated. :) Joe
Many thanks for the link. Rewarded in life you will be.

Back
Top Bottom