Need help on choosing photosoftware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use MGI photosuite 4. It's simple and gets the job done for about $40.00 :wink:

Cubascuba

justleesa:
Dee, you need to update this....lol

LOL...yeah, I guess I do. But I'm still such a beginner at PS7, it really doesn't matter! :D

If you can afford to spend the money now, go for Photoshop...you can grow into it and you'll be amazed at how much you use those things you never knew you missed from Elements. So many use it that there is a ton of support easily available.

If you don't want to fork out that kind of money, I'd head to Elements. It is very powerful and there is also a ton of support for it here and on other boards/sites.

I think that Paint Shop Pro is also an excellent tool, but with another steep learning curve and from what I have seen there isn't as much support out there from users.

Photoshop CS will really not do much for you using the source materials you described. I think that Elements will do quite nicely. If you ever do go fully digital - then CS is the ticket!

DivemasterJoe:
A Free and Open Source alternative to Photoshop is The Gimp (The Gnu Image Manipulation Program) found at http://www.gimp.org . Version 2.0 of The Gimp gives the full version of Photoshop a run for its money.

Joe
Does it edit RAW files? Can you run the 2.0 version on 98se?

I knew I had seen a deal somewhere. From Elements to CS - for about half the price. Several ppl have done this and been very happy.

Here's a deal

Oh yeah...expires 30 June!

James Goddard:
A quick warning on Photoshop Elements. It has a nasty bug in it where on *some* people's XP machines it completely disables the Cammera wizard, thereby getting rid of what is IMHO the best way to download your images.

I wouldn't worry about the wizard glitch if you're going to be scanning your prints. It's irrelevant if you're loading from Photodisc as well. Could be a problem if you go digital, but the easiest way around the wizard is a card reader. Quite a few units now come from the factory with 4, 5 and 6 way readers built into the machine. It's the only way to fly.. They're starting to pop up on a number of laptops as well. Things just keep getting easier!!! I'm sure someone's working on a docking station that's fixed to your tower or something of that ilk. Of course I never dreamed of Mini-Drives ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom