Need help on an ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onbelaydave

Reaction score
I found this guy at Santa Cruz Is., CA. last summer. To me, it looked like it had some sort of fungus growing on it and it was 2-3" long. Today, however, I saw an almost identical shot, so maybe this is a natural coloration. I still have no clue what this is so all suggestions are welcome

40010_1100746462_unknown-5.jpg

40010_1096858025_Sculpin-and-Fungus-1.jpg

My best guess would be a scalyhead sclupin. Quite common in the north Pacific. Not sure how common they are in California. They vary considerably in coloring especially during mating. The cirri are not unusual and occur on many sculpins.

SB

Hmmmm.... "scalyhead sclupin" is one of the few things I've ever typed into Google that got zero hits even without the quotation marks.

Got a link for that?

R..

I took the liberty of forwarding the images to Daniel Gotshall for identification:

Dear Jim:

The fish is the Coralline sculpin, Artedius corallinus.

I assume you took the photo in the Monterey area. Thanks again for sharing.

Dan

jlyle:
I took the liberty of forwarding the images to Daniel Gotshall for identification:

Dear Jim:

The fish is the Coralline sculpin, Artedius corallinus.

I assume you took the photo in the Monterey area. Thanks again for sharing.

Dan

Thanks for the work !!!

Back
Top Bottom