Need Help - Older Digital SLR or New DX-1200HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MakingBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I need some help from you experienced underwater photographers. I need to make a decision within the next 48 hours, so any help you can provide will be much appreciated! I have the opportunity to buy a Sea & Sea enclosure for my Canon Digital Rebel 300D SLR camera (6.3 Mpixel) with two Sea & Sea YS-90 TTL Auto strobes. For about the same price, I can buy a new Sea & Sea DX-1200HD with a single newer YS27 strobe.

While the older SLR and strobes are now discontinued, is this a better deal? Which setup will give me better pictures? While I do like the idea of the HD video and compact size of the 1200HD, I don't want to significantly reduce the quality to the quality of the pictures. Also, I am concerned about the shutter lag. Can anyone comment on the shutter lag of the 1200HD?

For reference, I currently shoot with an Olympus Stylus 600 with no strobe, so either of these options will be a significant upgrade. I just want to spend my money as wise as possible. I typically dive in the warm, colorful waters of the Carribean and Hawaii. Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom