Need help in selecting Dig SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been thinking about having a backup D100 body and have been watching Ebay. Bodies only, seem to be selling for about US$700-800. Nikon is running a Rebate right now which brings the price to about $1000, (B&H). I am leaning to getting a new body. Anybody know of any other sites worth checking out besides Ebay??

Yeah, naturally I can't for the life of me remember who told me that they were selling for around $600 and that's with a lens...mind you just a standard cheapest lens, but not "Just" the body...

Backup bods are good thing... for when the mfg decides they can't fix the camera and you can't find one on ebay, all you've got is an....
Expensive Door Stop...

I've gone through this with my 4040..

On the down side, it does prolong the opportunity to get a NEW and Improved Rig.. heheh... but spared the expenses.. Ying/yang...

I'll try to find out the source, someone I was diving with recently.. back in a bit...
but interesting that they're dropping now in anticipation eh???

since the advent of the new rebel i've been able to get a pair of the old 6 mpxl version for less than $650 each thru bizrate. now i've got 3 rebels coming with one housing on a trip to palau this week.

With regard to viewfinder ease of use UW, has anyone directly compared the D70 & 20D? I realize that housing, etc. will make some difference, so I'm not even sure if such a comparison is fair....but.... Enlighten me.

Thanks,
Jim

Both have about the same size viewfinder lens opening. If I had to pick, it would be the Nikon D70 over the 20D because the Nikon has a brighter over all finder due to the LARGER reflex mirror, to bounce more light into your eyes. See for yourself at a Best Buy, both are on display side by side.

Between the two cameras a better choice maybe the Nikon D100, the same viewfinder and chip as the D70 at 6mp. The D100 being around for a couple more years than the D70, had a head start at getting the "Bugs", if any, out of the camera. The D100 is also made in Japan (D70 in Thailand) and the prices of the D100 are dropping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom