Need help getting my 1st regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mohamed97

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi scuba divers.

I am new to diving world and I plan to take my ow and advanced ow courses in my next vacation to sharm El sheikh ,egypt.

I will dive 2 or 3 times a year with approximately 20 dives each time.

I will dive in the warm water of Egypt which can be 15°C at coldest winter months. I may dive also in the water of Mediterranean Sea which may be little bit dirty.

I need an entry level regulator to start building up my gear. I don't know what is better for me mares Rover 15x regulator or scubapro MK2 EVO / R195 regulator.

I need your advice which regulator is better for me and I would like also to know if there is better choices at the same price range..

Thank you in advance.

Scubapro, Aqua Lung and Mares are the more popular brands in your region and are available. I'd go with the Scubapro brand first and Aqua Lung second and Mares distant third.

In my experience, the MK2 regulator has been much more reliable and resilient than the Mares brand by a wide margin based on use in our dive school.

If you were to add an Air Integrated Computer in the future, it's transmitter would use the single HP port provided on the MK2 so many people look for regulators with 2HP ports standard so they can add a small backup pressure gauge in case of computer/transmitter battery failure.

How do you feel about Atomic instead? A Z2 with 2 HP ports and either 5 or 7 LP ports (for better hose routing) is $439 - here the MK2EVO/195 sells for $375 so not much more.

The Atomic also has a 2 year/300 dive recommended service interval - with the amount of diving you're doing, I could see stretching that easily to 4-years - I do with my Atomics on occasion.

Scubaro's service cycle is 2 years/100 dives which you have to maintain for warranty coverage. With Atomic, if it lapses, it starts again after the service.

These rules may be different in Europe so check.

MK2EVO is an updated 1963 proven design. The Z2 came out decades later.

One other consideration is breathing performance - all Atomics breathe the ame as their $1600 T3 model, the difference is the materials used for construction, they get more exotic as the price increases. Also the Z2 uses their patented Seat Saver Orifice - what it does is disengage the seat slightly when not pressurized - prolonging it's life. When a seat imprints, it's often time for an adjustment. Downsde is that when rinsing, it will allow water to seep into the 1st stage thru the hose so the solution is to simply keep the hose or 2nd higher than the 1st while soaking.

I'd personally go with the newer design if you can afford the extra $65 - and have an Atomic Dealer nearby.

For the same money, i think I'd go with the Aqualung Titan over the SP MK2 also as it has the 2nd HP port standard.If there's anything I see more of in my travels than Scubapro dealers it's Aqualung/Apeks dealers...

I don't follow the Mares line at all so can't comment on your other choice.

Last edited:
Apeks also has worldwide service. I like the XTX50 very much.

My advice is to look at the Apeks ATX-40 / DS-4. It is in the same price range as what you are looking at and offers a sealed diaphragm first stage (good for dirty water) and both the first and second stage are balanced (better and more consistent breathing). If you are not familiar with the brand, Apeks is part of the Aqualung family so it can be serviced at any Aqualung dealer. The ATX-40 can be made adjustable by purchasing the adjusting knob.

The only drawback is the DS-4 first stage only has 1 high pressure port. So if you decide to purchase an air integrated dive computer you cannot also use a pressure gauge. To some it matters to other it doesn't. If you do not want to buy an air integrated computer it does not matter.

Apeks.
DS4: 1HP + 4 LP ports
DST: 2HP + 4 LP ports on turret.
Both are suitable for cold and "dirty" water.
DS4 is a lot cheaper than DST. So unless you are going to add AI computer in the future otherwise DS4 will serve you well for many years. Mine is entering into 19yrs of using. Up-grading has been absolutely un-necessary(for me).
The difference between 40 and 50 series(2nd stage) is the adjusting screw. ATX is old model while the XTX feature right-hand hose config or left-hand hose config.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom