Need help from a Costa Rica local...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gecko2gecko

Reaction score
Anyone around here call Costa Rica home? I am trying to plan a trip for a small group and could use some advice about combining a few different activities in to one week. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Basically, I'm trying to combine diving, white water rafting, canopy tour and Tabacon springs in to the week. I've got most of it worked out but could use some advice on where (or where not) to stay in San Jose, car rental companies, and the tours themselves. I've got my diving penciled in with Deep Blue and staying at one of their recommended hotels.

What we're looking at so far...(vague):
Sat - Arrive SJO, rent car and drive to Tamarindo
Sun- Dive
Mon- Dive
Tue- Dive then drive to San Jose
Wed- WWR/canopy tour trip
Thu- WWR
Fri - Tabacon Springs
Sat- leave SJO

I can explain more if need be...it isn't all ironed out yet, that's for sure. I'd be up for suggestions that would make all this easier...other than using Bill Beard's and having it all done for us. I've tried that and it is WAY too expensive.

TIA!!! Julie

All I can say about Costa Rica is that you're better renting a very GOOD and BIG 4X4 otherwise you'll find the road just like....being off-road!!! :wink:

I would try to aviod the drive from San Jose to Tamarindo. Rental cars and gas are very expensive in Costa Rica. Buses are cheap, but are overcrowed and quite an adventure. First I would stay in Alajuela. It is smaller, cleaner and has some nice places to stay for cheap. The Grayline bus from there to Tamarindo costs $25 per person and leaves at 8:00 am. Tricolor has about the best rates on rentals from the airport, but they still get about $50 per day for a small 4x4. I would call the night before or even the day of as most rates will go down on anything that is not rented. Another option is Sansa Air. They offer inexpensive flights. They even have a week and two week unlimited fly pass.

http://www.flysansa.com/index.html
www.graylinecostarica.com

I have been to Costa Rica several times. (Not to dive) The Hotel Buena Vista in Alejuia
is a great place to stay the first night. They will come get you at SJO. Interwest has great van connections to anywhere. You can fly out with Nature Air to Tamarindo then fly to La Fortuna. La Fortuna is a great place to base camp from to do the tours. We stay at the Volcano Lodge in La Fortuna, do all the adventure tours from there. The zip line in Monteverde is fantastic and the Pure Trek canyon trip is awesome. Check out Sunset Tours for a great day trip to Monteverde. Pure Trek has their own website. You can do Tabacon ( well worth the money) from a van that picks you up at the Volcano Lodge.
Take Interwest Van ($25) back to San Jose. PM me with more questions.
Beth

Julie,

If you haven't already booked your trip then consider flying into Liberia (airport code LIR) rather than San Jose. Liberia is 1 hr from Tamarindo, San Jose is 5 hrs on bumpy (good by CR standards) roads. Arenal is closer too. Airfare to Liberia is also a little cheaper than to San Jose.

If not, then I agree with bikefox regarding Sansa, car rental, and Grayline. There is another bus company called Interbus with rates like Grayline.
Interbus

For mini-van transport here are two other good options (The first economical for 1 or 2 people the second more suited for 4-7 people)

Arenal.net
Costa Rica Transfers

If you rent a car I suggest :

Email the rental agency and get quote in writing (take with you)
Don't drive at night except locally to restaurant and back
Get a good map (no street addresses - landmarks are used by locals)
Rent a 4x4 to handle the pot holes you don't miss and for visibility front and rear (sits higher)
Get full coverage insurance and theft coverage
Do not leave your valuables in the car (locked or not)
Get an out the door quote ($1/day license plate fee and transfer fee if applicable)

It is very easy to safely rent a car in CR just be a defensive driver and know the ropes.
Have a fun vacation!

Roger
Fun Costa Rica Vacations

Unfortunately, Costa Rica isn't going to happen for at least another year. The group we were trying to plan for kind of disintegrated because of passports and other obligations. Thanks for all the help though. It will come in handy soon enough.

I just did the trip you're describing, and did my diving with Deep Blue. Read my trip report!http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2005/10/diving-and-driving-costa-rica

gecko2gecko:
Anyone around here call Costa Rica home? I am trying to plan a trip for a small group and could use some advice about combining a few different activities in to one week. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Basically, I'm trying to combine diving, white water rafting, canopy tour and Tabacon springs in to the week. I've got most of it worked out but could use some advice on where (or where not) to stay in San Jose, car rental companies, and the tours themselves. I've got my diving penciled in with Deep Blue and staying at one of their recommended hotels.

What we're looking at so far...(vague):
Sat - Arrive SJO, rent car and drive to Tamarindo
Sun- Dive
Mon- Dive
Tue- Dive then drive to San Jose
Wed- WWR/canopy tour trip
Thu- WWR
Fri - Tabacon Springs
Sat- leave SJO

I can explain more if need be...it isn't all ironed out yet, that's for sure. I'd be up for suggestions that would make all this easier...other than using Bill Beard's and having it all done for us. I've tried that and it is WAY too expensive.

TIA!!! Julie
:10:

Back
Top Bottom