Need help.. Fish recognition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaHunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I got a type of Grouper this weekend that we cannot tell which kind it is. I think it is some type of a black..... I will put pictures up this afternoon

It has a reddish tint to it, brownish/yellowish spots, the corners of the jaw are yellow. It is def a type of black grouper I think, but I kinda just want to know for the hell of it exactly what kind..
I am thinking that it is a carbo or true black grouper but I havent seen a solid picture with a solid label as CARBO or TRUE BLACK that looks like this one.... the only Carbo i have seen look basically like a gag with jet black fins and tail...
anyway if any of you have a picture post it up and well see if we can do this hah..
I will try to get pictures up soon as well!!! :confused::idk:

LIke this one? Mycteroperca venenosa Or, yellow fin grouper here in Belize. My buddy shot one a few weeks ago and I thought it WAS a black until closer inspection.

Attachments

• YFG2.JPG
    YFG2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 78
the only part that was yellow on it was the very corners of the mouth i forgot to get pictures of it hah, i had 2 charters yesterday so i was prettyyy occupied

heres one i found off of the internet but it doesnt say what it is?

it has a really red tint compared to this one tho it kinda threw me off

Attachments

• grouper2.jpg
    grouper2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 80
Mycteroperca interstitialis) ??? I haven't seen this one in Belize yet

Attachments

• b8f08751ccd977bcd8d8a55ecd64ca2e.image.500x360.jpg
    b8f08751ccd977bcd8d8a55ecd64ca2e.image.500x360.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 72
I'm guessing it's a black or gag. With the tiny bits of yellow spots, I'd lean towards a black. But can't do anything without a pict.

The blacks down here have bigger squares in the color pattern. Yellow Mouth grouper?

im leanin more towards a a carbo or true black.... i thought some type of black as well that pic i put up is the same exact thing, you just cant really see the red tint as much. I think yellow mouths have a little more yellow around the fins right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom