Need help finding a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaswirl

Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic computer that gives me the necessary information in a easy to use (and see) package. I would like a downloadable computer, but it doesn't have to hold too many dives.

I'm a confused because there are so many choices between buying new or used and what models.

Are there any models out there that have become pretty standard as a good computer.

To put it in Car terms. I'm looking for a Honda, not a BMW, or a Yugo.:D

thanks for any help.

look at the Aeris, Oceanic Suunto web sites. Those three are probably some of the bigger companys and you should be able to find whatever you want on one of them.

The Uwatec Prime would also be a good option. It does air/nitrox, and has infared download, so there is no expensive cradle to buy. Just do your research. There are a lot of computers out there, and the truth is that most of them do the same thing.

I have a used VT Pro wrist computer with transmitter for sale. I am selling it for $350. The computer has some cosmetic wear but is 100% functional. I do not have the computer cable, but it is available online new for $80-90. The manual is available to download for free via the internet.

Mares Puck - just got one for the wife. Like the simplicity and the large display (it will never be confused as a watch). Some quirks of going through the menu system, but that is what you get for a single button (so only a single potential leak point). $280 is about the norm, though e-*ay turns up good deals. I got the PC cable from LeisurePro for much less than most places.

It can do Nitrox., and is adjustable for how conservative it can be (3 levels). Good back-light. Can be set to do Deep stops, has audible alarms, and can do deco if you exceed a NDL.

User replaceable battery too.

This one has been around quite a few years, and recently has an AI if that is your thing (a bunch more $).

Start with the Dive Computers Research Tool to compare dive computers side-by-side, then look at our videos to see them in action too and finally, take them for a virtual dive with our simulators (eDiving now ... DivePAL in a week or so :wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom