Need help deciding on Tulum and Belize OR just Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving at Thatch Caye for a week and loved every minute of it. The staff are terrific, local guys that know all the best sites, Instructors that care about what you see and how good the dive is, small groups (I was on my own for nearly all the dives!). The Caye itself is stunning and they offer fishing and snorkeling if you fancy a day without nitrogen! Also, you have to take into account that if you stay at Hamanasi you have the boat ride out to the reef every day, Thatch Caye is 10 minutes away from the wall.....
You won't be disappointed , stay at TC!

Also, you have to take into account that if you stay at Hamanasi you have the boat ride out to the reef every day, Thatch Caye is 10 minutes away from the wall.....
You won't be disappointed , stay at TC!

good point! I didn't think about that. I also heard back again from Thatch Caye - apparently the quote they gave me earlier was for 5 nights, not 4, so it's actually cheaper than I thought:)

So, in the further evolution of my trip plans, I've decided to completely skip Ambergris/Caye Caulker and spend a week semi-roughing it at either Reefs End Lodge (cheap! but seems to be well regarded) OR Off the Wall Dive Center & Resort. Since I'm travelling solo I don't need nightlife, just great diving, snorkeling and relaxation. Also, both places (esp. Off the Wall) are closer to Gladden Spit.

Other than great Trip Advisor reviews I haven't found much info on Off the Wall - has anyone stayed there? I've been in contact with them and they seem like great people, so I feel like I'd be well taken care of there.

I was really set on Thatch Caye, but it's just more money than I want to spend, and that's not even including the flight to Dangriga AND the whale shark dive.

If you are thinking of doing the whale shark dive in Belize, below is an email I recieved from someone that runs a dive operation in Placencia and offers that dive. The biggest problem is they are migratory, so seasonal and unpredicatable. None of them wears a watch. Unlike other sharks or stingrays, you can't wave dead fish around to attract them. They pass by if and when they feel like it.

Whale shark dives are US$185 per person. It's a 2-tank dive. Since whale shark sightings are not an exact science, it's advisable to do (2) days of whale shark diving during the full moon periods. April to June are the optimum times. One cannot attach a percentage to the amount of times one might see one on a given day of whale shark diving. Doing (2) days of whale shark diving significantly increases the possibility, and one is more than likely to come away with the success of a sighting. Hope this helps.

Belize Underwater Photos by Scuba One

Hi Scuba One - That sounds familiar. I remember writing that. Your comment needs a little qualification and more info. I hope I can help here.
Yes, whale sharks are migratory. The reason they come to Gladden Spit is to feed. During 10-day periods around the full moons of March thru June gigantic schools of large snapper, numbering in the thousands, gather at Gladden Spit to spawn. It is this spawn that the whale shark come here to feed on. Gladden Spit is a spawning aggregation site that over 20 species of fish visit to spawn, and whale sharks have been sited in the area right through the late summer at full moon times. Diving during these spring full moon periods allows you to witness an incredible spawning event. Marine life from all along the food chain are represented. Large schools of little tuny, cervalle jack and spade fish can be observed. Dolphins and other species of shark (bulls, lemons, hammerheads) show up to take advantage of the unwary spawning fish. Whale shark sightings are not a guarantee every dive, but the chances of a sighting are very good indeed during the scheduled times. Hundreds of diving visitors come and dive during this time and come away having seen whale shark.
Brian Young from Seahorse has been operating tours to do whale shark diving for a number of years and he personally has a good deal of experience with the movement of these fish and identified individuals. Friends of Nature (the NGO that co-manages this marine park together with the Belize Govt) has hosted many marine biologists who've come here to study the movement of whale shark. Placencia dive operators work together with Friends of Nature to organize these tours at those specific times in Mar to June, and share a wealth of information on these animals. Your actual dive experience is only as good as the guides and boat captains that you go out with who must have special training and a license to take you in the park. There are quite a few experienced and licensed divemasters and boat captains. Placencia dive shops such as Robert's Grove, Turtle Inn, Slash, Seahorse and Avadon Divers all have great crews who can offer the best opportunity of observing whale shark as they know where to look for the schools of spawning snapper because that's where the whale shark are going to be. Some operations like Robert's Grove and Avadon Divers have boats with fish finders that help in locating the schools before anyone gets in the water. Find out whose fish finder is operational as well.
I hope this sheds some light on whale shark diving at Gladden Spit, and how they are found during diving activity.

hey there ed , ecologic is under new ownership , i know its hard but please come down for a trip and check us out , and have a look at trip advisor things are really diffrent.
thanks

So, in the further evolution of my trip plans, I've decided to completely skip Ambergris/Caye Caulker and spend a week semi-roughing it at either Reefs End Lodge (cheap! but seems to be well regarded) OR Off the Wall Dive Center & Resort. Since I'm travelling solo I don't need nightlife, just great diving, snorkeling and relaxation. Also, both places (esp. Off the Wall) are closer to Gladden Spit.

Other than great Trip Advisor reviews I haven't found much info on Off the Wall - has anyone stayed there? I've been in contact with them and they seem like great people, so I feel like I'd be well taken care of there.

I was really set on Thatch Caye, but it's just more money than I want to spend, and that's not even including the flight to Dangriga AND the whale shark dive.

Reef's End is on Tobacco Caye, if I'm not mistaken. And Off the Wall is on Glover's Reef. They're a bit different in that Tobacco is a small island that is a bit....covered? I guess is a good word, with small resorts. The diving in the area is pretty good. You'll be very close to Thatch Caye. They're just behind the big caye west of Tobacco.
I've not been to Off the Wall but Glover's is a bit more isolated and remote. It's another 15 miles or so out. Not much to do but dive. But most people here say that Glover's is the best diving.

You should think about going to Placencia in southern Belize. Placencia is the nearest place for whale shark dives but you would need to get a few more dives in as these are blue water dives with no visual reference. You mention staying on a caye - Placencia is known as "the caye you can drive to" and has the advantages of caye like envioronment but with good access to all kinds of on land activities and tours plus Placencia is known for having the best beaches in Belize with about 16 miles of beach along the peninsula. There is a wide range of accommodation available that would fit almost any budget. You could check out Splash at Splashbelize.com who offer diving, snorkelling, inland adventure tours and partner with a number of hotels and resorts ranging from luxury to budet. About 40% of Belize is reserves and if you look at a map you will see that most of these and the maya ruins are in the south half of the country so there is lots to do nearby if you get some weather downtime.

For completeness, let me add that Thatch Caye also has a fish finder on their boat, and they find it invaluable in finding and tracking the whale sharks.

I really want to go to Galapagos!

Hey Peter

I am heading to the Galapagos for the 3rd time in 2011 putting it together with a very good friend of mine in the Dive Industry Ken at Ultimate Dive Travel so if ya wanna go and your on your own let me know your welcome to join us it will be a good group.

Best diving you will ever do absolutely Amazing

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom