Need help buying my first fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at OMS slipstream fins, with XS scuba springstraps. They are a very strong fin, the Navy uses them and cut down time on there excerises. IVS scuba has a good deal on them, but they have a good deal on everything."

that's interesting, I've never seen a single pair of OMS fins on a single Navy diver, but then maybe in some areas. I have seen them using the Jets, Turtles, Rockets, Mares, Navy Seals mostly use Force Fins, but nothing from OMS.

If you want a light weight fin that is very comfortable and easy to use, specially with a flutter kick then look at Force Fins. In the ONLY objective scientific test ever done (done at University of Buffalo) using them they beat out every fin on the market. Subsequent testing about 5 years later included the Apollo Bio-Fin (based on a Force Fin design BTW) showed they approached but did not achieve the efficiency of the Original Force Fin Design. Not to mention they weight <4lbs per pair and are still just slightly negatively buoyant, and they are 4 inches smaller than most fins. They are even on sale right now $193 at ForceFin.com with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and free shipping.

Wow, so many choices! I'll have to go down to the shop sometime...

No one answered my question about the booties...will just about any booties work?

I think someone did address the boot question, try them in the fins. If they work they work, if they don't buy dive boots you like.

If weight is an issue the Mares and Tusa open heel fins will fill the bill. If you are looking for performance consider Apollo bio-fins, all natural rubber, thrust and power with a comfortable foot pocket.

Whatever you decide, try before you buy. The hype is just hype, the real deal is in the water
with the equipment you are wearing: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins

Well my 2 cents is this. Yes go to your Local Dive Shop and request that you try out various pairs. I know my shop is very customer oriented and wants the customer to be the happiest they can be. So they do allow me to use their pool for gear test and try outs on potential gear purchases. Keep in mind too when you purchase that if possible try to work with the shop before going to the internet and allow them to at least attempt to compete with pricing.

When you do buy from them it builds a good repor and even a great way to meet new divers and old alike.

Now for my preference on fins. Try the Aqua lung sling shots. They are adjustable to the dive you are attempting to perform. They can be set to soft kicks like in a quarry or in a lake. Then if you go to Cozumel or some place that is a drift dive you can adjust them to sheer power and allow you to manipulate the current.

The performance differences compared to that less than $50 Mares X3 are so minimal as to make the well over $100 price of most of these completely laughable, and many may not have performance superiority. If you can do all the kicks you'll ever need to do and save ~$100 bucks, why wouldn't you?

The performance differences compared to that less than $50 Mares X3 are so minimal as to make the well over $100 price of most of these completely laughable, and many may not have performance superiority. If you can do all the kicks you'll ever need to do and save ~$100 bucks, why wouldn't you?
Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking right now. I'll go down to the dive shop when I get back home (still in Asia, flying home tomorrow), but I'm thinking I'll just grab those X3s.

Someone asked me in a PM what fins I used on the liveaboard...to answer that, I can't remember exactly, but looking back at the pictures I took, they were either the Technisub Stratus FP or the Mares Avanti Superchannel FF.

Dont be in a hurry to get home. LOL good diving there and winter weather in the states :)

I am also looking to buy a new pair of fins and it looks like the Mares X3 or the Superchannel may be what I'm looking for. I see that they do not have large sized fins available. SBut they do have XLs. Since I will ordering over the internet, just wondering if anyone knows the correct size. I wear a size 11 shoe. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom