Need help assembly of octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Dayan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a new octopus, should I put silicone grease on the O-rings or just install without? It didn't come with instructions. Also for HP gauge ect.

Thank you

If you're running air through your regulators, putting a light skim of silicone grease on the o-ring is a good idea. If you're running nitrox, the same is true, but using a specifically O2-compatible lube would be even better.

Short answer: Yes, lube the o-ring.

I bought a new octopus, should I put silicone grease on the O-rings or just install without? It didn't come with instructions. Also for HP gauge ect.

Thank you
Just screw it in the port and give it very light pressure with a wrench. It doesn't need to be wrenched super tight. Just snug.

No lube is necessary.

Both ends are static o-rings, which don't need lube. The first-stage end is technically "dynamic" during installation, but there's really not enough pressure to worry about it.

Also for HP gauge ect.
On the first-stage end, no.

On the SPG end, the two small rings on the removable insert ("spool") ARE dynamic and should be lubed. Since they see high pressure, an O2-compatible lube (not silicone) would be ideal. However, if this reg only sees air or under 40% nitrox, silicone will work in a pinch. Very light -- just enough to make the o-ring shine.

The SPG is brand new cressi mini, do I still have to open and lube it? Or is it prelubed from the factory?

The SPG is brand new cressi mini, do I still have to open and lube it? Or is it prelubed from the factory?
If the hose is already attached you don't need to do anything as it will be pre-lubed.

Do NOT put silicone grease on the o'ring. New regulators typically have Cristo Lube on their o'ring and mixing silicone grease with Cristo Lube is not good. No need to lube it it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom