need good compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,I received my Sunnto SK8 and was just playing with it but how the heck do you remove it from the wrist mount that it is in ? I haven't received my DSS bungee mount yet but I was going to remove it from it's factory boot anyhow.That baby is in there tighter then all git out.I sure hate to cut the boot off.Maybe I should have ordered the console SK8 instead but wasn't sure about that. I was thinking about placing it in warm water/hot water but don't want to ruin the compass.Hoping you guys have clues.

Warm-hottish soapy water, it'll come out...

Hey partner,you're on the ball. I thought it would be something like that but sure wanted to make sure first. I like the compass and in fact,I find the bezel to be just right for one hand operation without being so easy as to accidently get knocked off course. After putting my flashlight to it,it glowed real nice.

I too have drygloves and it does not interfere with the rings, no problems at all as the bungee sits at the base of your palm and the rings sit lower.

Another thanks for posting those pictures. I re-rigged my compass to be like this and dove with it Sat and Sun. Carrying my compass went from being kind of a PITA to a non-issue. I have the lower profile "Tech" compass from DGX, so it's not as tall as, say, a Suunto SK7. And I was also diving for the first time with the Kubi dry glove setup. I found that if I tilted my hand back, the rings did hit the compass. But, in a normal diving position, they didn't touch. And when they did touch, I did not have any issues with things binding my movements. The bungee definitely did not interfere in any way with the dry glove rings.

One of my classmates noticed my new way of carrying my compass and commented that it looked really neat and was a great idea. I gave all the credit to you!

Well,I received my SK8 last week and today I received my DSS bungee mount.Between the pictures posted here and Tobin's compass mounting directions which are enclosed in the package,I had no trouble. I like the ease of adjustment between bare hands or using gloves.The compass lays in perfect position on top of my hand for easy navigation.I'm a happy camper.

Another thanks for posting those pictures. I re-rigged my compass to be like this and dove with it Sat and Sun. Carrying my compass went from being kind of a PITA to a non-issue. I have the lower profile "Tech" compass from DGX, so it's not as tall as, say, a Suunto SK7. And I was also diving for the first time with the Kubi dry glove setup. I found that if I tilted my hand back, the rings did hit the compass. But, in a normal diving position, they didn't touch. And when they did touch, I did not have any issues with things binding my movements. The bungee definitely did not interfere in any way with the dry glove rings.

One of my classmates noticed my new way of carrying my compass and commented that it looked really neat and was a great idea. I gave all the credit to you!

Cool, glad you like the set up and cheers for giving credit. How do you like the Kubis? Did you get the fitted? What gloves are you using with them? I found the Kubi ones a little thin so swapped them for some black Showa gloves.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2015 at 09:22 PM ----------

Well,I received my SK8 last week and today I received my DSS bungee mount.Between the pictures posted here and Tobin's compass mounting directions which are enclosed in the package,I had no trouble. I like the ease of adjustment between bare hands or using gloves.The compass lays in perfect position on top of my hand for easy navigation.I'm a happy camper.

Great, glad to have been of some help. Cheers for posting back with your impressions.

What is the difference between the DGX Tech compass $39 and the DGX deluxe compass $58? Both are bungee mounts.

It's in the description, the deluxe has a tilt of +/-30 degrees the standard does not. The bungee mounts are knock offs of the DSS mount and don't have the same holes so don't lace as well if you're going to use atop hand method.

Well,I received my Sunnto SK8 and was just playing with it but how the heck do you remove it from the wrist mount that it is in ? I haven't received my DSS bungee mount yet but I was going to remove it from it's factory boot anyhow.That baby is in there tighter then all git out.I sure hate to cut the boot off.Maybe I should have ordered the console SK8 instead but wasn't sure about that. I was thinking about placing it in warm water/hot water but don't want to ruin the compass.Hoping you guys have clues.

Hey waterduck, can you compare the factory bungee mount to the DSS one for us?

After re-reading, I realize that you could've gotten the watch band type of mount from the factory, if this is the case, disregard.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom