Need examlpes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian,
How much do you know?
Have you taken a Nitrox class and have an understanding of terms like PPO2 & EAD & MOD? Do you know what oxygen toxicity is and what triggers it and what the esablished tolerable amounts are and how depth impacts this? I'm just asking to get a feel of what you do know already, because these are concepts that the DIR mixes are based on.

Yep, Padi Nitrox certified in 2/28/2002.
I understand the terms at an entry level. I think I have a fairly decent baseline. My instructor told us much more than what was in the Padi Nitrox manual. That being said, having not truly “used” this information. I lack real practical experience. I did the tests and went through the tables. I dove my computer that is Nitrox capable.

Wendy,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I would hate to see someone injured or worse by the good folks on this board in an attempt to be informative and helpful,

As Dennis Miller ses, "That's just my opinion but I could be wrong"

DSAO,

Larry

I don't mean to be blunt but I can't hardly believe what I an reading. Folks, the info is in books. The sale of books and the info in them is not restricted to those with the certs to use the info. I know of a book that has the profile including gases used of an 800+ foot dive. They sell the book in book stores. You need to be trained to do it not to talk about it or to think about it.

Mike,

You are absolutly correct. Training is the only option I recommend to gain appropriate knowledge. Also, I signed a waiver when I enrolled in those classes.

I would hate to see someone injured or killed by misunderstanding or incomplete information or knowledge.

I know the info is in books and they could get it from there, but not from me. I'm not aware of this guys certs, other than taking his word for it, how am I to know that he won't go out and do something stupid going by just what he has read in my posts. I don't want to be held liable. I don't post techincal inforamtion on public forums for this reason. If I know you and know your training and backgroud I will write to you off the board and give information or tell you where to obtain it. Kinda like if I'm out cave diving and two ow divers come up and ask us how far is the mainline, how many lights do we take etc, I give very vague answers, I'm not an instructor. I wouldn't want them going in the cave, and only one coming out, and pointing a finger at me saying that I'm the one that gave them the information on what to do. I can't stop them from going in, but I can withhold information, and just tell them that if they wanna do the dive to get the training. I don't want to be responsible for someone's death or mishap. Can you understand and respect that?

I think its fine that this guy is asking questions and those that are qualified give him answers if they chooses. But he said he just did his nitrox course less than a month ago and passed. But if he isn't getting something, like when to use nitrox, or thinking that it is just for extending NDL, then he either needs to ask his instructor, read the book again, etc. And I'm glad he his furthering his diver education.

Since others have stated "i can't believe" and Darian
has noted that he is EAN cert 3 weeks ago I'll add my two
cents ...

Darian,

YOUR certification SHOULD have covered 'the best mix' for the
planned dive: if your dive calls for a dive to 100 feet you
use 'the best' gas for that dive.

Diving deeper (e.g. trimix) is similar: you use the gases that are
"best" for the planned dive.

In other words: Don't f*** around.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

Me thinks you need to do some planning and diving.

daylight and Wendy,

I understand and respect your concerns. I certainly do not mean to critisize your motives. Most books on the subject are prefaced by a statement that the book is not a substitute for supervised training. The same should be understood about conversations here. IMO, knowing of some of the complexities of technical dive planning might even prevent someone from underestimating it and trying it on their own.

Mike

I agree with Mike that the info is in the books, anyone can go there and read it. (hint hint)
Darian,
I see what your getting at now, you want to know more, which is great. What I think you should do is take a trimix class, or read books on the stuff and then take a trimix class, that's what your questions really are about.
When to use mix? what mix for what depth? why not to use mix? etc...
Well, people here won't give out a mix class online, and I don't entirely blame them, for various reasons...
Are you asking questions about mix, or is it discrepencies between your class and the DIR book(s)?

People will certainly help you here, don't get turned off. It's just a little much to ask for a complete explination of something so life critical and technical. everyone online should be non-authoritative in your eyes, instructors are people in real life, online we're just folks with opinions.

Ask a few specific specific questions, and the see what other peoples opinions are.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom