Need East End GC food info plus cool shorediving link

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just like the other cheap eats thread, I am diving with Ocean Frontiers in June and am curious what the lower cost restaurants and markets on the East end are. We are staying at The Reef resort on NE side of GC, and understand that there is a small store across from it, but am curious about produce markets or fresh fish markets.

I also have done a ton of shorediving research here (Thanks all SB posters!), and never saw this link below posted (I found it on Google search for Babylon and Anchor Point), so I am posting it for all to see (unless it is too much of a GC secret to let out) because it is so informative and detailed with great pictures and directions to the major shore sites on GC:

Grand Cayman Islands Scuba Diving, the Cayman Islands offshore scuba diving guide,Shore Diving,Grand Cayman dive site locations

Don't dive, but was snorkeling at Anchor Point last week and came across some vents/fumaroles spewing some sulfur-laden ejecta. It was pretty cool and worth a quick look-see on the way out to the wall. They were literally 10-15 yards directly out from the "stairs" at the end of the access trail to Anchor Point, even the water had a yellow caste.

Here are some options for cheaper eats around the East End and vicinity :

Miss Vivines Kitchen (Gun Bay) - Lunch only, but also had/may still have a Wednesday Night Seafood buffet.
Arlaine's Lunch/early dinner - across from OF
Over the Edge (Old Man Bay)
South Coast Bar & Grill (Breakers)
Driftwood (Cayman Kai)

There are no fresh fish or produce markets in East End.

In Bodden Town there are a couple produce markets. One is Buddy Wood's place on Bodden Town Road next to the old drive in cinema. The other is a produce market on Anton Bodden Drive (side road next to police station).

Sometimes Captain Herman will offer up some of today's catch for sale. You have to find him and personally speak to him.

The Foster's grocery across from The Reef Resort has a reasonalb selection to cover the shopping for a one week stay. It is the same prices as all of the other larger Fosters groceries on the island.

There simply are not many restaurants in East End at all. Miss Vivine's in Gun Bay and Arlain's near Ocean Frontiers are the only "cheap" ones in East End. Back into Bodden Town you will find Chester's or Lorna's Woods' jerk stands offering quite affordable island style fare.

There simpl

In addition to the above, Ocean Frontiers has a Wednesday night buffet BBQ and The Kaibo Yacht Club has a buffet BBQ on Tuesday nights with a band. Heading down there my self this Saturday.

Thanks a ton everyone!! I can't wait to see your island's treasures and walls. Gotta do the OF BBQ too.

I'm looking forward to Testudos vents too - will try to photo them and post. Thanks Drew for all your informative posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom