* * Need Divers for Music Video Shoot! $ PAID $

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things are starting to get just a little too personal here.

Please be civil, or the thread will be closed.

Thanks from one of your friendly neighbourhood Mods.

So Blenny, are you a diver? Might want to fill out your profile so we know a little bit about you.

LaughingBlenny:
What a friendly dive related board. Now I see why most of the divers in my circle say stay away from SB.

Since it looks like most of you are not interested in the experience, why bother to bash the post? Let it alone and get a life.
Hi Blenny,

Actually I was the first to post on this thread, after a new dive buddy of mine asked me his thoughts about the project. He had spoken with bpcooper. So i think I was pretty aware of the situation.

My concern, honestly, is that a new diver, with only 8 dives under their belt should not be doing this kind of work. Maybe a diver with 100 or more, or at least a diver with a rescue certification. But not some newbie diver, that could get hurt. A diver in this situation, without experience with their own bouyancy and reactions to things that could go wrong, could get hurt. Or might react poorly in a scary situation. Which could hurt one of the talent.

We are a friendly group of divers, but we also like to have fun. I have had 2 diver friends die in what seemed like "safe" conditions. This sport is not an easy or safe bet. Things can and do go worng. Do you really want your talent with an inexperienced diver if something goes wrong? Some of the comments around here may have been harsh, so I won't try to excuse them, but human nature is to poke fun at things that make one uncomfortable. And this whole idea makes me mighty uncomfortable.

BTW, I replied to the original post and it is in my reply as a quote, so anyone can read it.

I pray that no new OW divers work on this set. I have some issues with more experienced divers, but simply leave the newbies out of the picture. This really is a project for safety divers. This is what they are trained for. Divers are supposed to attempt dives that they are trained for. Not go beyond it.

LaughingBlenny:
You're making the asumption that he doesn't know what he's doing, hasn't check the rules, hasn't taken the necessare precautions. "He's trying real hard to do just that" is somewhat slanderous to a guy you don't know and implies you know all the details of his project...which I doubt.

I do know a couple of things though.

An add for divers to work on a film for $75 helping others breath underwater that doesn't detail any qualifications beyond "OW diver" is very likely to attract all the divers who shouldn't be doing it.

Pointing out practices that I think are potentially dangerous is not slander and it's hard to slander a board allias anyway. As an instructor I've spent a lot of time pointing out dangerous practices and well...if the shoe fits.

As far as not knowing the details...lets hear them. If they change my mind I'll be happy to say so and notice that I use my name so finding out what my credentials are is easy.

Just to put things in perspective for any one considering this, I get more money than that to turn on a fountain in an apartment complex pond. The valve is about 3 feet below the surface and it takes me about 10 minutes from the time I park the car. Not much glamor but the pay is pretty good. Heck, a typical equipment rental fee for a day is $50 or more so he's barely paying enough for the use of the equipment.

As I pointed out in my original post, I do know people who do this for a living and would be happy to put the poster in contact with them. They are qualified, experienced and safe. They won't work for $75 a day though. They also may tell you that you need more people and equipment than you think to do it safely. I can almost promise that they won't use any one who's only OW certified unless they have experience far beyond. They also might tell you that they would need some time instructing and working with "the talent" ahead of time.

BTW, just as a fun side note, I know some folks working on a movie deal and they have some BIG names lined up...should the whole deal go through. I've agreed to get involved if underwater work is required but it looks like the first movie is going to be filmed in the arid south west or something so my movie career is already on a downhill slide. Darn!

I'm interested in this. As an added bonus, I am willing to be a driver for the production free of charge. I don't have a truck driving licence but I have a standard licence and should be able to figure it out. If $750k worth of equipment stored in my truck goes "missing", I'll be off the hook.

bpcooper:
P.S - the last postings are fairly correct, the diver needs to be certified under certian insurance polices, but not beyond an open water cert, which is what we specified in the original listing. However, at the end of the day, the producer/production company is listed on title of record as the responsibility holders under any circumstances. It all rolls uphill.

Intersting responses to the original posting.

"Safety Diver": Apparently, we used this term out of context and loosely. These divers are not for 'safety' - they are to assist the talent with breathing (all of whom are divers themselves) and wrangle any necessary props. It should have said "Production Divers" or something more entertainment business related.

The Rate: This project is being financed on our director friends credit cards. 90% of the people are doing this for free as a favor to us. The only people being paid are the divers, medic, lifeguard. Is it tons of money? no. But it's more than you'll make sitting at home reading these boards and NOT diving. Having a good time on a film set can never be underestimated, it's not all about the money.

Insurance: These productions, even financed the way they are - are the most well insured pieces of 'property' (yes, that's what they are called) in the entire world. There is more insurance coverage on even the smallest film shoot then you'll have on ten homes and 50 cars combined.

Risk: Again, our ignorance of the term "saftey diver" we will gladly accept. But then you will have to accept the fact that you are beyond ignorant if you think there is a way to be liabel for anything on these film sets. Everyone is covered by the production company and held harmless for everything. If you were on the crew, you could crash a grip truck with $750k in equipment in it into a storefront window causing over 1 million in city property damage and $300k in private property dmage while sending four people to the hospital for bills of over $500k.....and guess what, none of it is you pay a dime for. Yes, you are responsibel for the driving related issues, but no one affected can even sue you with the protection of the production coverage - they can only sue the production company. Period. That was a true story by the way and the guy never paid a dime. A film set, on land or in the water, is the most risk free zone in terms of personal liability you will ever encounter.

All that said, I thank this board becasue you have provided us with some strong candidates to help us on our project and we look forward to working with them.

And while we are shooting our filmmed project underwater in sunny hollywood, you will be..........................reading this at home.

Why can't you reply with a new post, vs. editting your original post?

I hope that your shooting went well and uneventfully.

L

scubalaurel:
Why can't you reply with a new post, vs. editting your original post?

I hope that your shooting went well and uneventfully.

L
Not once, but 3 times. His post count is listed as "4" but when I click on his name to get a list of all his posts, only the one post in this thread comes up.

my name is victor rivera i am a certified recreational diver through padi and am also a working commercial diver.
i am very interested in this dive and was wondering when and were it is and how much it is paying?
if you would like to know more about me you can go on my company web site at www.godeeporgohome.net
or you can give me a call at 239- 443-7308

i have all of my own gear including 8 tanks,2 full face aga's with comunications bc's commercial harnesess and the list geose on.

look forward to hearing from you.
victor j rivera

Hmm... A corporate web site that takes the bold step of ignoring spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. All things unnecessary for diving, but very handy for a business.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom