Need dive buddy in Maui 5/16 - 5/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyclospora

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Maui 5/16 to 5/21. I would like to do one or two shore dives that I don't have to pay for. I would like to try the Old Airport. The only day I have plans for is thursday of that week, I will be going to Molokini with Lahaina Divers.

If you have a rental car, you might seriously consider changing your Molokini charter to one that goes out of Kihei. B&B, Ed Robinsons, and Mike Severns are all highly regarded charters that go out of Kihei, with the ride to Molokini being about 15 minutes instead of the hour or so that Lahaina Divers will take.

If you want the boat ride and/or 2 guaranteed dives in Molokini crater (Lahaina Divers always does 2 crater dives where other ops will do one and go back to Maui for an off shore dive), stick with Lahaina Divers. The boat trip to Molokini is gorgeous and the big boats are very comfortable...just be prepared for long. :wink:

If you're only doing a couple of shore dives, consider making Black Rock one of them. It's a shallow dive so you can get very long bottom times, but there's oodles of critters to see. On our last Black Rock dive we saw Eagle Rays, Turtles, Nudis, Octopus, cleaner shrimp, just to name a few of the more interesting critters. :D

Another vote for Ed Robinsons, good people and great dives.

DiveMaven:
If you have a rental car, you might seriously consider changing your Molokini charter to one that goes out of Kihei. B&B, Ed Robinsons, and Mike Severns are all highly regarded charters that go out of Kihei, with the ride to Molokini being about 15 minutes instead of the hour or so that Lahaina Divers will take.

If you want the boat ride and/or 2 guaranteed dives in Molokini crater (Lahaina Divers always does 2 crater dives where other ops will do one and go back to Maui for an off shore dive), stick with Lahaina Divers. The boat trip to Molokini is gorgeous and the big boats are very comfortable...just be prepared for long. :wink:

If you're only doing a couple of shore dives, consider making Black Rock one of them. It's a shallow dive so you can get very long bottom times, but there's oodles of critters to see. On our last Black Rock dive we saw Eagle Rays, Turtles, Nudis, Octopus, cleaner shrimp, just to name a few of the more interesting critters. :D

I'd avoid the Molokini tours that leave from Lahaina too (and not just because I get seasick lol) leaving from the Kihei boat ramp gets you out early, back early and leaves you enough time for shore diving in the afternoon, or other sightseeing opportunities. Plus Lahaina Diver uses smaller tanks 72's which for Molokini is going to limit your bottom time (They are a good group, but doing 90+ft dives on a small tank doesn't leave you much air)

Personally I like B&B because we are usually back at the boat ramp when many of the other boats are just leaving for the day - 6-10am leaves you the rest of the day free. ProDiver also leaves very early, and gets back about the same time.

Too bad you're leaving the 21'st or I'd do some shore diving with you on the 22nd (I'm off island the week before...) Right now Mantee and I are scheduled for a dive that Monday - if you get delayed you're welcome to join us :D

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Next time you come remember the rule "Maui visits must be a minimum of 6 weeks in duration" ... :wink:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought I had everything ready to go for next week and now I have to make some more phone calls.

I did a couple of shore dives last year at Black Rock and at the Old Airport. I plan on doing Black Rock agian for sure. I have a new camera to brake in:D . Black Rock should be a good place for that.

Ok, Lahaina Divers has been cancelled and Ed Robinson's has been reserved. Now I am ready for next week.

Kidspot, thanks for the invite and I hope we do get delayed:D . Of course, with my luck we will get delayed and sent to South Dakota (not that there is anything wrong with South Dakota).

I really think you're going to be happy with the switch to Ed Robinsons. We dove with them last month for a couple of their 3-tank dives and really had a great experience. We'll definitely be diving with them in the future since we loved the 3-tank Adventure dives (our liveaboard spoiled us for only diving 2x a day!), but we would still love to go out with B&B one of these days too.

Make sure you post a trip report when you get back!

Make sure you post a trip report when you get back!

I will do that. I may do it while I am there. However, I am not sure were to do that. Do I post it here in this same thread or start another?

I think you need to call in sick on the 22nd and come diving with us. I'll bet the diving in South Dakota :sleeping: isn't quite as nice as Maui......... Just a hunch.

Start a new thread so we know you're posting a report.

If I can't go to Maui until December, at least I can live vicariously through you!! :D :D

Have a GREAT trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom