Need dive boat advice for Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdoyal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All-
I've got a budget of no more than $20,000 for a used boat and trailer for use in the Great Lakes. I'm thinking of something like a 23' Trophy or Pro-Line from the late 90's to early 2000's. I have a Dodge Dakota with the 5.9 V8 so I can't pull anything larger for sure. Boat must have a cuddy for sleeping two, and a swim platform (this means an I/O). My options seem to go the Trophy/Pro-Line route or a much older Pursuit/Dusky/Parker. Any thoughts? I'm already familiar with the Bayliner quality issue before the year 2000 or so so no Bayliner bashing please.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris

Hi All-
I've got a budget of no more than $20,000 for a used boat and trailer for use in the Great Lakes. I'm thinking of something like a 23' Trophy or Pro-Line from the late 90's to early 2000's. I have a Dodge Dakota with the 5.9 V8 so I can't pull anything larger for sure. Boat must have a cuddy for sleeping two, and a swim platform (this means an I/O). My options seem to go the Trophy/Pro-Line route or a much older Pursuit/Dusky/Parker. Any thoughts? I'm already familiar with the Bayliner quality issue before the year 2000 or so so no Bayliner bashing please.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris

A 5.9 V8 should be able to pull a larger boat - Without knowing the year of your vehicle, I cannot tell what the towing capacity is but likely 5000lbs or more. My buddy's Bayliner 1996 2650 is towed with his Toyota Tacoma V6.

From your list I would be inclined to look at the Parkers. The Trophy/Pro-Lines are popular so there should be plenty to choose from.

Personally, as I have stated in earlier posts I'm a fan of outboards and diving does not mean you are limited to I/O - I have a large dive ladder and a low profile transom with boarding step and because of the outboards, there is plenty of deck space.

Many factory swim decks and ladders are not specifically built for diving and worst case on older boats the plastic swim decks can develop micro fractures that easily break when too much pressure is placed in one spot. I took a chunk out of a swim deck performing a giant stride and the plastic was 1" thick.

Dwayne

Attachments

• Boat 5.jpg
    Boat 5.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I would avoid an I/O. In fact, I would go around Texas to avoid one for many reasons. A swim platform does not need to be full width to be functional and many "Euroback outboards have easy access. Most factory platforms and ladders are not really up to "scuba" requirements anyways.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your new purchase or soon to be purchase. Might as well budget in now another 10,000 for mods and repairs and other fun stuff. The only thing that is more expensive to play with than boats are airplanes, well, there could be a few other things but not going there.

N

Might as well budget in now another 10,000 for mods and repairs and other fun stuff. The only thing that is more expensive to play with than boats are airplanes, well, there could be a few other things but not going there.

N

Totally agree with Nemrod - Whatever you think the cost of the boat is, you will spend more. I also agree with the comments on I/O's. I have been working on my buddy's I/O for the last year now and believe on small boats they are very messy to work on - For example, replacing an oil pan requires an engine to be lifted.

Dwayne

Totally agree with Nemrod - Whatever you think the cost of the boat is, you will spend more. I also agree with the comments on I/O's. I have been working on my buddy's I/O for the last year now and believe on small boats they are very messy to work on - For example, replacing an oil pan requires an engine to be lifted.

Dwayne

Seriously, no expert but I do know about the leaking and vibrating and seizing and breaking of U joints and all sorts of stuff not to mention the weight of the da-n--g things all in the back of the boat and all inside the boat where I want to be. Not to mention rusting and warping and exhaust manifolds and on and on. On small boats they are too heavy and too large and on large boats there are inboards so no need for an I/O to begin with.

N

A 23' boat is small? What about the TON of 18' Sea Ray, Bayliner, Four Winns out there with I/Os? I've dove off a lot of boats and don't think I've ever been on one with outboards.

A 23' boat is small? What about the TON of 18' Sea Ray, Bayliner, Four Winns out there with I/Os? I've dove off a lot of boats and don't think I've ever been on one with outboards.

Size of boat is more a reflection of where it is used and how much range you want to purchase - 23' is a small boat when you start looking at finding a boat with sleeping space and likewise, the engine space will be very cramped. I/O's end up on boats in this size range because they are cheap engine/drive packages and the boat is too "small" for an inboard - Basically an inboard chevy engine with an outboard cast Al stern drive makes for a cheap engine package.

You made the statement you needed I/O because of swim platform - There are plenty of boats with outboards that are used for diving. I personally would not touch an I/O for all of the hassles I have experienced working on them.

Plenty of Parkers with outboards - Just need to find a boat with a transom door or low profile transom. http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_lineup/boat_detail.jsp?boatid=13

When you are purchasing your own boat, you need to take a real hard look at overall ease of maintaining the vessel.

Here is what I decided for myself - Since I use my boat offshore, engines, maintenance, and redundancy were serious considerations - I ultimately went with twin Honda 4 strokes (150's), 2 fuel tanks each with fuel/water separators, starter battery for each engine plus 2 house batteries. Alternative configurations include single large outboard with small kicker and a setup I saw up north - 2 large outboards and a third small kicker with pull start and alternator which had the capability to recharge the big engines starter batteries. The transom on the port side of my boat is low profile to access the swim step and a heavy duty T-Bar dive ladder.

Last edited:

Yes, a 23 foot boat is considered a small boat or small craft, not meant as a derogatory description but simply as factual. As to the rest, if you want an I/O then go for it. Bayliners and Four Winns etc are not highly regarded boats, especially for coastal and offshore use, they are lake cruisers. There are offshore boats fitted with I/O drives, most people learned it was not the best option for a drive and power plant combination but there are always a few who will prefer them.

The "Pursuit/Dusky/Parker" you mentioned with an outboard are a good shot for your needs

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom