Need computer advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Kinda got lost in the crossfire reading the other thread on computers... My trusty old Genesis Resource finally gave up the ghost after 25+ years on a dive last weekend. Since getting the Garmin a few years ago, the Genesis has been just a backup anyway. I've lost track with what is out there so figured this is a good opportunity to investigate something air integrated and also with big enough numbers I can actually read underwater without my glasses. This will probably be a console to replace the gauge; the Genesis fit in a round slot next to the compass so probably gonna be some changes.

Look at the Peregrine TX; you won't find anything easier to read or use, and the wireless air-integration is bulletproof. It has a digital compass too, so you may not need your console at all.

Look at the Peregrine TX; you won't find anything easier to read or use, and the wireless air-integration is bulletproof. It has a digital compass too, so you may not need your console at all.
Cool. Was looking at the glossy flier on the website; find it interesting that it does not mention a download option for logging dives electronically although I'm still searching...

Cool. Was looking at the glossy flier on the website; find it interesting that it does not mention a download option for logging dives electronically although I'm still searching...
The download is by Bluetooth to your phone or PC. The data are stored in the Cloud so any of your devices can see the data.

The engineer in me will probably keep the console for the physical pressure gauge, at least until I learn to trust the integrated air.

After searching specifically for bluetooth, I found the reference. I had simply read the technical specs and didn't see it mentioned. (I'll never understand marketing...)

Thanks for the info.

I've lost track with what is out there so figured this is a good opportunity to investigate something air integrated and also with big enough numbers I can actually read underwater without my glasses. This will probably be a console to replace the gauge; the Genesis fit in a round slot next to the compass so probably gonna be some changes.
If it must be a console, there are a handful of options that would fit. None of them are inexpensive.
For big numbers in a console, the Oceanic Pro Plus 4 is probably the best. Pro Plus X if you want a color screen. But, neither of them use the same algorithm as your Garmin, so they won't match exactly. Plus at $900 and $1200, I'd definitely be looking at other options.

As suggested, the Peregrine TX would be a great option. Runs the same algorithm as the Garmin. Uses the same default GFs and can also accept custom GFs. The Air Integration is really quite reliable with either the SW Swift or any of the PPS MH8A transmitters.

For the record, my fist computer was an AI Pro Plus 2 console. It worked fine, and no real complaints aside from it being a bulky console. Switched to wrist-mount AI, and never looked back. Despite being able to clip the console to a consistent location, it's still not as fast as just bringing my wrist into view.

Kinda got lost in the crossfire reading the other thread on computers... My trusty old Genesis Resource finally gave up the ghost after 25+ years on a dive last weekend. Since getting the Garmin a few years ago, the Genesis has been just a backup anyway. I've lost track with what is out there so figured this is a good opportunity to investigate something air integrated and also with big enough numbers I can actually read underwater without my glasses. This will probably be a console to replace the gauge; the Genesis fit in a round slot next to the compass so probably gonna be some changes.
i would also take a look at the Ratio iX3m 2 Pro, Ratio has the biggest screen on the market. It's a 3 gas computer (Nitrox, Air and Gauge) and has a rechargeable battery. If any tech diving is in the future, you just have to buy the upgraded software instead of a whole new computer.
Ratio iX3M 2 Pro Dive Computer | Air Integrated

i would also take a look at the Ratio iX3m 2 Pro, Ratio has the biggest screen on the market. It's a 3 gas computer (Nitrox, Air and Gauge) and has a rechargeable battery. If any tech diving is in the future, you just have to buy the upgraded software instead of a whole new computer.
Ratio iX3M 2 Pro Dive Computer | Air Integrated
Ratio computers look quite nice. I am only concerned with the sales, service and support currently available in the US. This concern may be unwarranted.

Not a lot of new info to add, but, as a rookie diver, I like the simplicity of Shearwater's interface. As a man with old eyes, I like the larger display of the Peregrine.

The Peregrine TX came out at the perfect time, as I was about to spend the money on a Tern TX and try to figure out how to see it underwater.

FWIW, I got a small button SPG that sits on my first stage as a backup to the Swift transmitter; my dive buddies (my sons) know that if I have an issue, to check that for my remaining air.

Byrdman

Back
Top Bottom