Need Comments on 2 Cozumel dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going to Cozumel in Feb. Staying at the Iberostar. Papa Hogs and Aldora Divers both will pick me up at the Iberostar pier. Papa Hogs: $54.00 two tank dive per day for 5 days on six packs. Aldora Divers: $84.00 two tank dive per day for 5 days on six packs. Quite a difference in price. Why? Can I please have some feedback on these dive ops from anyone who may have gone out with them; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks for the coming replies.

Aldora uses steel 120 tanks. Papa Hogs uses AL 80s.

Check into Blue XT Sea www.bluextseadiving.com and Deep Blue www.deepbluecozumel.com

I would personally prefer either of those to the choices that you gave. PM me if you want details.
Check out the Cozumel sub forum.

Had a good experience with Papa Hogs about 2 years ago, but if it gets rough enough to have to use the big boat, you will have to take a cab to it. They only pick up with the samller boats. I was also fairly happy with staying at the Iberostar, FWIW.

I have used Papa Hogs twice now with pleasure. I prefer Blue Angel. For the price dif I would go with Papa Hogs. Small boats, personal service, tons of bottom time. Can't comment on the other place but that's a high price to pay in Mexico no matter what type of tanks they use imho. Most people can get a one hour dive out of an AL80 in Cozumel.

FWIW: Regarding Aldora...Three years ago, I made a deposit with Aldora for multiple dives and AOW certification. Then I cracked three ribs on day of flight, while playing American football. Aldora did not respond at all to my repeated queries as to refund/future discount. I eventually used my DAN trip insurance, which worked quite well. Aldora had been quite responsive up to the problem, but then, nothing. There are also other threads about Aldora on this board. In fact, there are many, more knowleadgeable folks about Coz on this board.

Nice tip from Jamiep3 in this thread about Papa Hogg's bigger boats being more buoyant in buffeting seas. I'll give it a B, obviously.

--Wayne

I personally LOVED :07: Dive Paradise!! They were absolutely incredible with my daughter and I. I had a bad experience doing my open water diving here at home in cold, mucky, dark water of Idaho. I had much fear and apprehension. These folks took me under their wing and helped me overcome it. I loved the personalized service they gave us. They took my daughter who was 11 at the time and literally took her by the hand to show her stuff that we would have missed.

Papa Hogs came in a close 2nd when we were making our decision. Be sure and do the C130 (or something like that) ship wreck. We loved it....scary as the current was strong but what a rush.

Divedoggie:
Aldora uses steel 120 tanks. Papa Hogs uses AL 80s.

Check into Blue XT Sea www.bluextseadiving.com and Deep Blue www.deepbluecozumel.com

I would personally prefer either of those to the choices that you gave. PM me if you want details.
Check out the Cozumel sub forum.

Blue XT (sorry-got Deep Blue and Blue XT mixed up) won't pick me up at the Iberostar Pier. Also, I was surprised that in their email back to me they made a rather put-down comment about the Iberostar. "...in all good conscience, we would not recommend Iberostar..." No other explaination - What's with that? I've stayed at the Iberostar twice outside of Playa and really enjoyed the experience, and I have not found any negative comments about the Iberostar on Cozumel. They must have something against the resort. So far, I think I'm going with Papa Hogs. Thanks for the comeback

I know that the Iberostar was trying to strong arm some of the outside dive ops into paying to pick up people at their dock a while back. I don't know how that came out. I know it caused some bad feelings down there. I didn't have any problems with the Iberostar in Cozumel when we stayed there, but their in house dive op was almost twice as expensive as Papa Hogs, and they run big boats, vs the 6-8 divers with Papa Hog.

I've both stayed at the Aldora Villa, and dove with them - and have nothing but good to say. They went out of there way at every step to ensure that we were well taken care of. They even came and picked me up and personally took me to Dr. Picolo (sp?) the day that I was stung by a jellyfish while snorkeling. They took me and my family down to Chedraui (the local walmart) and helped us with buying groceries and supplies. We got about an hour and 15-20 minutes bottom times. The ONLY thing that I can say that even marginally approaches the negative is that we had a divemaster whose style was not the perfect fit for ours. It was STILL a great dive. Again, I just can't say enough good about them. Good Luck!

medicfam64:
I had a bad experience doing my open water diving here at home in cold, mucky, dark water of Idaho.
Dived tonight in Idaho waters, 35' visability!

Oh, and another vote for Christi's Blue XTSea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom