Need Bauer Purus compressor help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trident00

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Picked up a 1973 vintage U.S. Divers "Windjammer" portable gas driven Bauer made compressor. Previous owner had it checked out 5 yrs ago by a technician. It sat in a climate controlled environment since. I checked all fluids and the filter, etc. The motor started with very little coaxing. I was able to play with it a little bit until the drive belt broke.

Now.....for what I found and what I need help with....

First off is there a good source for parts for these older compressors? I need a belt ATM. I also found that when everything was closed, the unit came up to 1000psi fairly quick, and then took a bit of time coming up to 1500 psi. I never got it to come any higher. I do not know if the gauge on the unit is bad or if there are problems with some stages or possible a leak on the valve where the fill hose comes off.

I am very mechanically oriented and with some advice and direction I would think this is a project that I can tackle. I'd be very grateful for any troubleshooting advice and knowledge.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Walt

Walt, while researching my own bauer compressor, I ran across a bauer technical manual pdf which described a procedure for testing valve and piston "health". Apparently a reverse flow of air is supplied to the compressor and a flow meter is attached to the block to measure leakage which would indicate valve and/or ring wear. Since I had just skimmed the pages, I am hoping someone else who knows about this procedure will chime in and provide more detail. However, if I am able to find this document again, I will attempt to repost it for you.

I appreciate the response. I would be very interested in seeing that document if you find it. Got the belt replaced this afternoon and took care of a couple leaks. I am thinking that the valves probably need replacing. Its a really nice little compact unit and the motor runs very strong. I think when all is said and done I will be very happy with it. As I learn more about working on it, I would be very happy to share any info and insights with you.

Cheers, Walt

Hi Walt,

I'm Gabe Kaplan from Lawrence Factor, Inc. We manufacture aftermarket parts to fit most Bauer blocks and have Dealers around the world.

Regarding your block, I can identify this for you, but I need to see pictures of each valve head close up. Also, a couple wide angle shots will help. Last, i need to know the block number which is hand stamped on your crankcase near the base of the cylinders. Looks like 5/1234/2.

Also, sounds like you have a Valve issue. Once i know what block you have i can provide more info.

Thanks,
Gabe

Thanks Kwindham. That really helped me out. I proceded to tear down the compressor this afternoon. Everything seems fine from initial looks, But the valves on the second and third stages are sealed units and there wasnt any way for me to see if they are in good shape. The first stage seemd all good from what I could see.

GKaplan. I appologise for not getting back to you earlier, but I will take some pictures this evening if I can get enough light and send them to you. I am figuring I want to replace the intake and exhaust valves on the 2nd and third stages and should probably do the first stage as well. Thanks for your offer to help me identify everything.

Thanks everyone!!

Cheers, Walt

Back
Top Bottom