Need backplate help, I'm selling the Ranger!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Mverick
Anything I can do to help UP.....:D

I'd rather buy higher quality. Even if I don't need it...
Well then you can kill two birds with one stone...

Buy a bottle of genuine **Uncle Pug Spit** mask defogger for twice the regular price of $100. :D

You can also look at Fred T and Koplon plates as well. Kolpin is:

http://hood.hctc.com/~kopfab/backplates.htm

Abysmal' are good too.....I hear some are 304 stainless and some are 316 stainless....higher the number, the more corrosion-resistant to salt water, I hear...

I have a Koplin, but I do only freshwater right now....and saltwater this December...

I would but I said higher quality not higher price:stooges:

Scott Koplins plates are $125 at his sight
FredT's are $105 at aul
Halcyons are $142 from extreme exposure

So FredT's made of 316 kinda wins out. Lower price and higher quality steel. And I like how it's layed out. Don't know about the Koplin plate. Never used one. But if it's 304 it's definately cheaper for him to buy. Why does it cost more?

Now if Pug spit was Under $5 and was higher quality than 500psi. I'd buy some...

:drown:

But if you don't know how to set up a backplate and harness. I'd buy the Halcyon. They come already set up. You just have to adjust it....

I just bought an AL plate from Gary, got it in the mail today. He uses 316 stainless steel for his SS plates and sells on ebay. His prices are very reasonable). Right now he has a SS plate with harness for 118 on ebay (136 with buy it now). The harness comes fully setup, has the small bungee for the LP hose, some bicycle inner tubing, crotch strap attached etc. His service was excellent and the shipping was prompt.

Originally posted by Mverick

But if you don't know how to set up a backplate and harness. I'd buy the Halcyon. They come already set up. You just have to adjust it....

I really disagree, I bought a Fred T. Set it up, no problem.

Do some searches on the boards.

With all the info and links to pics from LY, UP, Roakey, and others....

If you can't follow directions well enough to assemble a BP and harness, You probably can't follow directions well enough to obtain a C-card!!!

It's really pretty easy :)

Okay guys, now that we have discussed quality, price, acid diving, and Uncle Pug spit, which one do I go with as far as SS or aluminum? As I said, most of my diving is done in a 3mm shorty, or a 4/3mm or 7mm fullsuit depending on temp, but 75% of my dives are done in the shorty and the 4/3, and I dive with AL80's. I do plan on getting into tech diving, but it will be a couple of years away, and hopefully by then I can afford to buy more than one plate and wing if needed, oh yeah, I forgot to ask, which wing?? And again, all of my dives are with single AL80's.
Thanks!

Originally posted by JT2
Okay guys, now that we have discussed quality, price, acid diving, and Uncle Pug spit, which one do I go with as far as SS or aluminum? As I said, most of my diving is done in a 3mm shorty, or a 4/3mm or 7mm fullsuit depending on temp, but 75% of my dives are done in the shorty and the 4/3, and I dive with AL80's. I do plan on getting into tech diving, but it will be a couple of years away, and hopefully by then I can afford to buy more than one plate and wing if needed, oh yeah, I forgot to ask, which wing?? And again, all of my dives are with single AL80's.
Thanks!
If it were me I would get the Aluminum plate for now... and the Halcyon 27# wing... long & slender it will wrap part way up the sides on your AL80 and produce very little drag... you be slick~n~slicin' thru de water Mon... :D

I have an Abysmal BP/Wings setup and couldn't be happier with it. I got the large size, 'cause I am. :)

You will find that the BP is made to nestle your doubles about 1/2 inch closer to your back than most other makes. This is good for your trim, but watch out for the possibility of those pesky wing nuts poking you in the back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom