Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalobo

Registered
Reaction score
I was certified last June through an Padi LDS that I was not at all impressed with the second day instructor on the check out dives and really don't care to business with the dive shop again as a result. I then partially tore my ACL in late August and had to have surgery and I am fully recovered now. Where I live currently it is to cold to dive, but because of knee injury I have been unable to dive since June and I feel I could use some type of refresher with my experience with my LDS on my checkout dives even though I am certified. I will be moving to Texas in March with my job and was wondering if any LDS might offer any type of refresher to be more comfortable with OW.

I know the LDS I go to does refresher courses, and they recommend them if you haven't dived for a year or more. I'm sure that they are not the only ones to do so.

Also, it's never too cold to dive :) I'm heading out next weekend, and I live in Canada.

Mike

if you are moving anywhere near houston, i will be happy to give you a refresher. i am almost a divemaster (just have to mail the paperwork), along with a few other DM's and some instructors in our group. otherwise, any shop can do a refresher course for around $75 plus any books they suggest. personally, i would just watch the OW video again, and as long as you feel comfortable with it, rent a tank and go breathe in a pool and practice a few skills with a buddy. Good luck and dont sweat it, its like riding a bike!

I think most padi shops offer a refresher course. I would do as Justin just said read the book again, watch the video and do some skills practice in a pool or on a shore dive with a limited depth say 20ft or so. Dunno about the too cold thing though, buy a drysuit and some thick woolies! Just dont go Ice diving till you are properly trained :D

And if coming to the Dallas area... stop on by our shop. I find that most times, people who have only been out of it for a bit normally don't need a refresher.. they just need some time in the pool to practice. All the skills that happen in a class are on our wall in bold letters, so you can just go through and see if you're comfortable with all the skills.

We make our pool available to any of our customers any time it's not being used... as I explain, it cost me about 70 grand to dig the damn hole and if no one is in it... it kinda' pisses me off!!

Watch the PADI Scuba Tune Up video and take a refresher class. It restores your faith in your abilities and reminds you of the skills.

Scubalobo, Divemasters are a good source for refreshers and skill reviews (and of course the obvious - instructors). That is one of their duties as a dive professional. Given your limited experience, you might request a pool review and an open water skill review at depth. Not required and certainly up to you. But definitely in your circumstances a review is in order and would be the wise choice.

Divemastr:
Scubalobo, Divemasters are a good source for refreshers and skill reviews (and of course the obvious - instructors). That is one of their duties as a dive professional. Given your limited experience, you might request a pool review and an open water skill review at depth. Not required and certainly up to you. But definitely in your circumstances a review is in order and would be the wise choice.

Many people forget that DMs can do a Scuba Review.

Thanks for the reminder! :thumb:

I don't think you will have any trouble finding a Dive Master or an Instructor that can help you. It sounds like you did not have a good time on your check out dives. You may want to let the DM or Instructor know that you don't feel all that comfortable. It is probabily just a confidence issue. Once you are in the water and looking at all of the fish - you will be right at home. My advise is to go diving, after you get your tune up. Get together with some good fun loving responsible divers and go have some fun. That is what diving is all about - FUN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom