Need advice where to dive - Singapore in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishchaser

Registered
Reaction score
I'm expecting to travel to Singapore on business for a few days in mid-December or early January. I'd like to extend my trip a few days and do some diving on the other side of the world, but I'm clueless as to where to go.

Some goals:
  • Maybe 3-5 days at most (hard to extend business trip on company dime longer)
  • Return Sunday night (for Monday meetings)
  • All travel inclusive, for simplicity, so I don't need to bother with booking my own transportation/flights. Travel originating in Singapore.
  • A decent dive site, considering distance (don't want to travel for days) and time of year (mid-Dec or early Jan)
  • Nothing too difficult. AOW certified, but little experience beyond getting the certs.
  • Price of S$500-800. Would consider higher end if more dives, more stuff inclusive, a dive site worth the extra $.
  • It's just me, no buddy, so accomodating only a single traveler/diver.
What location would fit these goals? (I these are not unrealistic goals.)
What charter/diveshop/operator would you recommend?

Thanks!

December - January is monsoon season in Singapore and along the East coast of Malaysia. The closer your are to decent diving during this time is probably going to be Phuket but this may be out of your budget.

Go to Sipadan. You can get a cheap flight through the Air Asia website. The accomodations aren't luxurious but you'll have some of the best diving in the world. The monsoon isn't in borneo so you should be ok. It's not the best time of the year to dive there but it should be fine.

Yes, monsoon in Singapore so very limited diving in the immediate vicinity. The good news is flights are relatively cheap as there is a sudden proliferation of budget airlines. Check out Manado.

Singapore is generally not good diving, purely of visibility........bit like a pea soup. There are however some diveshops that do trips all inclusive. I have used several and would be happy to recommend. PM me if you would like to have some info.

Monsoon in East Malaysia basically narrows your choices down to Thailand, Lower Indonesia and Borneo. I would expect the cost to be between 700 and 1300 Sin Dollars.

Meng_Tze, PM sent.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to see if travelling to Borneo or Thailand is within my budget and time constraints.

Sipadan? don't think so you will be book now, as i believe it is hot divng spot due to the close down event

Btw i am going from 28th nov to 2nd dec(i book at aroun september), anyone go there during this period?

Try Pulau Langkawi (Malaysia). Plane lands on the Island. You will have to enroute from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) to a domestic route. 20 minutes from Singapore to KLIA. Then about 40 minutes from KLIA to Pulau Langkawi. Good choices of hotels. Nice shallow dives with the average depth at about 60 feet. Visibility at about 20-30 feet. Duty free shopping at downtown Langakwi. Well within the budget you stated. Cheers.

mayb u wanna try out bali. direct flight from singapore changi to bali, cost ard $SGD700 incl. air ticket. can visit any dive shops in singapore for more details. or u can visit website http://www.orpheusdive.com, they too organises many trips ard south-east asia.

Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom