Need advice re: Fins ***** HELP!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had an annoying ankle sprain for about 2 months which is much better now but I still have soreness in the ankle especially on the "inside" below my ankle bone.

I am going to Bonaire on Saturday evening and have my Mares "SuperChannel" Fins and Harvey's 6mm dive booties packed. I will be doing "jump in the Caribbean" dives from the dock at the Divi Resort as well as some boat dives of course.

I also have a pair of Oceanic "Caribe-X" closed fins which are much lighter and am wondering if my ankle would fare better with these lighter fins or should I stick with the Mares fins which are bigger and heavier?

I am packed to the gills and have no room for both pairs and I don't plan to do any walk-in shore diving so I don't have to have my heavy duty booties unless I am using the Mares fins. In either case I will be using a plastic brace to protect my ankle and to give some support.

Which fins should I take?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

If you're doing all boat diving, it shouldn't matter, although the booties will probably give you better support while walking from the bench to the transom. If you are content doing the same shore dive off the dock, then it shouldn't matter either. If doing any other shore diving at all (and I thought that was the main reason to go to Bonaire) you'll need the booties as I think the entries are all rocky.

I certainly wish you the best of luck on your choice and a great vacation . . . but I'm skeptical that anyone on an internet forum is going to be able to accurately gauge which fin would be better for your two-month old ankle sprain:confused: Maybe try out both fins in a pool or local area to see if either presents problems with the ankle brace and some sustained finning?

I have had an annoying ankle sprain for about 2 months which is much better now but I still have soreness in the ankle especially on the "inside" below my ankle bone.

I am going to Bonaire on Saturday evening and have my Mares "SuperChannel" Fins and Harvey's 6mm dive booties packed. I will be doing "jump in the Caribbean" dives from the dock at the Divi Resort as well as some boat dives of course.

I also have a pair of Oceanic "Caribe-X" closed fins which are much lighter and am wondering if my ankle would fare better with these lighter fins or should I stick with the Mares fins which are bigger and heavier?

I am packed to the gills and have no room for both pairs and I don't plan to do any walk-in shore diving so I don't have to have my heavy duty booties unless I am using the Mares fins. In either case I will be using a plastic brace to protect my ankle and to give some support.

Which fins should I take?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy
You might want to tape the ankle. I expect all the fun will be rather heavy work load on the ankle, it being still sore and all.

I agree with the post re trying both in a pool first as the best option. If this is not an option, I would go with the dive boot and Mares fins if a sore ankle (split fins ay be even more kinder, gentler). Just being on a dive boat with no support (barefoot sans dive boot) and any bumpy seas may give an aching ankle even before the dive. If going with the closed fin, I would wear something for ankle support on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom