Need advice on strobe selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjn17960

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

I'm going to Tahiti in July, and would like some advice on upgrading my UW photo rig. I'm willing to spend around $1500. I'm an experienced above-water photographer, and have recently started with UW photography.

Currently I have a Canon SD880IS and a WP-DC26 case. I wish I had found this board last year when I bought the camera, I may have chosen a G10 instead! Oh well.

Anyway, I'd like to get a strobe and maybe a lens. I've got a quote for an Inon Z-240 strobe (~$750), Inon UWL-100 28AD plus the dome lens conversion (about $700 for the two). Those with various spacers and arms come to a total of just below $2k. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but doable.

I've seen Ikelite cases for the SD880 (~$250), which can get a $50 adapter to be able to take the Inon UFL-165AD. It seems that may be a cheaper solution than the UWL-100 + dome conversion.

Any comments on the above gear? Or, would I get better results from a G10 and a strobe and not worry about the lenses right now? The array of choices gets a bit overwhelming!

Thanks, Rich

Back
Top Bottom