Need advice on regulator set that we have - has cracked piece, maybe called a saddle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StraitNet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am getting ready to try and sell some scuba gear my wife and I have accumulated over the years but when I pulled this set out I noticed a problem..which is what I need help with.

I have searched for the proper terms but still not sure if this is called a yoke saddle or not..so hoping someone can tell me the following.
a) What this broken black piece is called so I can search for a replacement (not sure if that's possible)
b) Does this being broken make a difference on functionality...is it still safe and everything or should it not be used?

Also..can anyone tell me a way to identify the brand of this somehow?
I only see HP 3000 which I am assuming is High Pressure and 3000 PSI...it has been years since my wife and I did any diving and that was all with rental gear.

Thank you very much.
Chris

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Thanks Again :)
FH000023.jpg

Well, saddle is the correct term. Beyond that I’m not going to be much help.

Not certain, but I don’t think the broken saddle will affect basic function. However, I’d be concerned about why it broke. When it happened, could it have done other, perhaps less obvious and more serious, damage?

As for brand, you have a variety there. I only recognize one - your alternate second stage is Aqualung.
Assuming you’re primarily interested in finding out the brand of your first stage - is anything written anywhere on it? If you provide the serial number, there might be folks on here who can use that to determine brand.

edit: Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your primary second might say Tekna. If so there's a reasonable chance that's the brand of the first stage as well. They're often sold in pairs that way (first and primary second). If it is Tekna, it's going to be like 25 years old or so, and servicing/parts will be a problem because they went out of business around (I think) 1990.
It does look similar to this one: http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/vintage-tekna-regulator-do-not-dive/

The first stage looks to be a Scubapro Mk-5 clone. You can see if a Scubapro or an Oceanic dealer has a part that fits.

The damaged saddle does not effect functionality. I doubt if it will be easy to find an original replacement saddle. I suggest you just sell it as is as you might be disappointed with the price it brings anyway and the saddle should not have much effect on that. I'm sure another Mk5 or clone compatible saddle can be made to work but it might take a bit of modification to keep everything tight and moving properly. Not that hard to do but it will take a bit of work.

That is a Tekna clone of a SP MK-5, I have one for test purposes. It is almost identical to the MK-5 so odds are MK-5 part will work. That said, it's value is likely not much more than that of the part....not to mention the cost of the service work. If it were mine, I would ebay it as is with photos showing the crack but don't expect much for it.

I like mk5 s. They make nice argon Regs. You want $30 shipped for the Regs? Small flat rate box is $5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hi all..I am sorry for the delay on replying. Have a very full plate last couple of days and am playing catch up the best I can.
Will reply more as soon s I get a bit more time to look things up based on the replies...just wanted to say a big thank you for now...and I was not told these were that old when we bought them...sigh...but live and learn is the story of my life...lol
Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom