need advice on older reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rambler

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving as I have been on one discovery scuba dive is the USVI (caught the bug) and now have my classes set up for next month. I have a 10 year old Scuba Pro MK 10 Reg and a G250 second stage setup and a Scubo Pro BC with a Airflow 2. It has a little corrosion here and there, mostly on hose fittings, and a few places that the brass shows through, It is worth rebuilding or shoud I buy new? I would rather not go crazy with a new purchase just to have something new.

rambler:
I'm new to diving as I have been on one discovery scuba dive is the USVI (caught the bug) and now have my classes set up for next month. I have a 10 year old Scuba Pro MK 10 Reg and a G250 second stage setup and a Scubo Pro BC with a Airflow 2. It has a little corrosion here and there, mostly on hose fittings, and a few places that the brass shows through, It is worth rebuilding or shoud I buy new? I would rather not go crazy with a new purchase just to have something new.

Take it for a service / assessment, should be fine to start you off.

A Mk 10 G250 is an excellent reg that will take you as far as you want to go in diving. Parts are still available and it breathes as well as anything produced to date and better than at least 3/4ths of the new stuff sold today.

Have the BC and Air 2 checked. They should get you by long enough for you to decide what you want to replace them.

rambler:

Even if you upgrade to new gear...you may be disappointed because it doesn’t get a whole lot better. Make sure you get your equipment serviced by a Scubapro dealer and get a price estimate first. Some people take their gear in only to get ripped off on parts, so do your homework; you should only pay $60 - $80 for annual service with part kits included in the price. They should give all parts a light acid or ultrasonic bath to eliminate all corrosion and make them save all replaced parts in a bag so you can inspect them. A diaphragm or other non-annual part that needs replacing will increase the price slightly on the annual service.

I have used my G250/MK20 for over ten years and recently purchased a used G250/MK10 in pristine condition. I cannot tell the difference between them performance wise. I also have a few other setups I acquired over the years and nothing beats the performance of my Scubapros.

Thanks for all of te info. Is there something I can do about the places where the brass shows through the chrome other than me just having to be carefull with the cleaning.

I still use my original 15 year old MK10 and it's a great reg. I have yet to find a good reason to buy a new one. As long as it's serviced and they say it's good, I'd say stick with it.

As far as the BC, as long as it checks out I'd say dive with it until you learn more about what you want in a BC, and you can get something different later if you want.

I have in my arsenal, a MK 10/ 250, and after you get them serviced you should consider yourself fortunate to be starting out with top notch gear that is, for all intent is as good as it gets.

rambler:
Thanks for all of te info. Is there something I can do about the places where the brass shows through the chrome other than me just having to be carefull with the cleaning.

Ignore them.
I have a couple of MK V /109 rigs that are more brass than chrome. Both started with me new over 30 years ago, and both function quite well.

FT

rambler:

...They should give all parts a light acid or ultrasonic bath to eliminate all corrosion...(the green stuff)

As mentioned above during annual service...just take it in and the tech should clean it for you. Just get it cleaned during annual service and don't worry about "character" marks.

Actually, I would feel terribly self conscious showing up on a dive boat with new looking gear because people could assume I was a new looking diver. I kinda like my gear to have the "been there, done that" look and after all it's the performance inside that counts, not the chrome on the outside.

Dealer cost for an annual service kit for a Mk 10 is about $7.00 and it is about $6.00 for a G250 annual service kit. Other than a few o-rings there is normally nothing more that is needed for a Mk 10 or a G250 other than maybe a new diaphragm ($5.00) and an exhaust valve ($2.25). So worst case the dealer cost on the parts will be about $20.00. Dealers are free to sell parts at cost and some will, while others will mark them up. More than $30.00 for parts though and you can consider yourself getting gouged.

Labor should not cost more than $25.00 per stage so the whole thing should not cost more than about $70.00-$80.00 to get back into fully refurbished and ready to dive condition.

Air 2 annual service kits are abou $9.00 and other than a couoel of $.50 o-rings they normally need nothing else. So another $35.00 should cover it's annual service.

Back
Top Bottom