Need advice on mask buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the purge valve. Also the best test for a mask is when you have a reg in your mouth. It may not matter for most but can change the shape of the face. Some folks have easy mask faces, some do not. My buddy can not wear much... unlucky I suppose. My face is an easy fit.

As has been said many times, fit is most important.

As for clear v. Black entirely personal preference. I started with clear since the snorkel set I was used to was clear as well. Then the silicone started to brown after lots of use so switched to black.

It's always a good idea on a dive boat to have a back up mask. If something happens to your mask you are a spectator until you get back to dock unless someone on the trip has a spare you can fit and will let you borrow. Don't think something cant happen or it'll be fine as long as you are careful.

No one can predict the idiot who drops a weight belt on top of your gear, then goodbye mask. Almost lost my brand new black mask first time I used it. I had it sitting around the first stage on the tank so wouldn't get crushed by dropped weights. When I tried to take it off the strap got stuck then it shot away from me like a sling shot into the water. Lucky me had a spare and was under the boat when I went back in to find it.

The black is now my standard and the clear is my back up and my first choice for night dives to help see lights in peripheral vision. Maybe get both if you find a good one that fits.

No one can predict the idiot who drops a weight belt on top of your gear, then goodbye mask. Almost lost my brand new black mask first time I used it. I had it sitting around the first stage on the tank so wouldn't get crushed by dropped weights. When I tried to take it off the strap got stuck then it shot away from me like a sling shot into the water. Lucky me had a spare and was under the boat when I went back in to find it.

My cave instructor, after a terrible training dive, thew his mask into the back of his truck. A bit pissed at our performance & not thinking, he set his double 108's on the mask to get out of the harness. That mask went in several different directions. Thank goodness he didn't shatter the lenses (prescription) he was able to piece the mask back together & still uses it to this day.

Although it is true that photographers often prefer black silicone for reasons concerning concentrating their vision on a subject, it is not best for a new diver as it increases claustrophobic feelings. A clear silicone mask is best for you. I have been teaching diving for 15 years, having certified over a 1000 stubents. I have set up a site recomending equipment on sales through amazon sites, take a visit www.seawolf.greatdiscoverymall.com Email me on bentdiver@live.com with questions, or post them on my new blogspot SCUBA advice and opinions

I switched my primary mask to an Atomic Frameless with black skirt and have never been happier other than my first scuba mask my grandmother bought me in 1981. Back then it was $25

I will echo others that fit is the most important factor. The fit procedure described above is a good one and one that will serve you well. In my opinion, cost is the absolute least important factor, as others have said.

The second factor to consider once you have identified a good fit is low volume (Atomic Frameless) vs. high volume (Mares Esa). Volume refers mainly to the area of air between the mask and your face. The real bottom line here is that high volume masks tend to sit farther from your face. They tend to let in light and have many windows for high-visibility. Lower volume masks tend to sit closer to your face and some prefer them for their lower profile and increased viewing angles.

I have used both and initially preferred a higher volume mask for its ability to let in light, among other things. That said, I once tried an Atomic Frameless mask (a very low volume model) at a Disney Dive Quest dive (great experience, by the way) and immediately went out and bought one. I have been so pleased that I have never used another mask since. That said, my preferences might not be your preferences:)

If you can, dive some different masks and see what you prefer before you buy. After you buy, do yourself a favor and rinse your mask after each dive (it may reduce the yellowing associated with clear masks) and will help to preserve the straps and any metal pins or connectors by minimizing exposure to salt. You also will prolong the life of your mask by saving and using the case your mask came in. A mask in a case is much less subject to damage and will likely last longer than one that sits loose with your other gear.

Good luck with your choice and Happy Diving!

Mike

My first mask had a purge valve under the nose. I found it made my face sore after use..

Great advice mwalsh787!

-Rob

I have always used a black skirted mask for snorkeling myself. I currently have a low volume ScubaPro Spectra Mini that I really like so far. My wife has the Spectra Mini in a clear skirt w/o polarizing. We have only used them in a pool at this point but we are going for our open water certification this weekend coming up so I will let you know how it goes. There is one thing about the polarized mask that I have been fighting with and that is fogging. Something you have to be careful with on the polarized mask is whether scrubbing the inside of the glass will screw up the coating or not. Also, one other thing, don't crank the strap down so tight that you leave a ring around your face. When you put the mask on and the strap around your head, if you breath in and out thru your nose the mask should move back and forth easily without leaking air.

God luck finding a mask. :D

A lot of good advice on this already- best bet is to go into a dive shop- try it for fit and how you like the field of view. Don't go cheap either- you want it to feel good on your face for an hour so the rubber should be soft. Also, consider- you may not like the first one you buy so it can become your back up mask if you are travelling overseas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom