Need advice on a home location in Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love living in Dania Beach and I've typed out why just about monthly, every time we get a new person saying "I'm moving to Florida, where should I live?" It's all about the access to dives all around the state...I am incredibly well situated for dive travel, yet I'm about a mile from some of the best beach diving imaginable. You could do a search for my previous essays on it.

That said, thank goodness I moved here years ago and that I bought my home when I did. There is no way I could afford to buy a home here now. But without knowing what your price range is, it is difficult to make a recommendation to you. Some people would learn that houses in my 'hood go for $400K and up and say "OMG NO!" and others would say "wow that's cheap."

As a kid I grew up in Pompano Beach and dove the South Florida area alot. We mostly dove the Lauderdale by the Sea area and I knew that that is where I always wanted to live because of the diving. Another added bonus of SE Florida is easy boating access to the Bahamas.

If you have diving, boating & the ocean in your blood then it doesn't get much better than SE Florida.

Debby,

I might be open to a condo as this will be a getaway home from our current home.

I was thinking of a home because I want to keep the option of possibly retiring in Florida in 15 years. I don’t think real-estate will go down over the long term (I realize now the prices are falling and the inventory is climbing) so I might have to bite the bullet and get something that might be a reach goal price wise.

Something in the 300K to 600K would be what I am looking at.

Thanks to all for the great feedback!

George

I suggest that once you have made your preliminary pick, that you rent and apartment or house for a few months. Living somewhere for a few months sometimes gives you a very different perspective than visiting for just a week or two.

Lanaoka Harbor doesn't seem to be a big metropolis. SE Florida from Miami north past West Palm Beach is a pretty densely populated strip. That may or may not be what you and your wife are looking for. I'm surprised that Key Largo isn't acceptable to your wife --- but from the point of view of frequent diving, I think you would be better off in SE Florida.

If you are 15 years from retirement, then ease of access from your current home could make a big difference in how useful a 2nd place is. The area between WPB and Ft. Lauderdale has good diving, and those two airports are pretty good for the short haul flights up and down the eastern seaboard, and MIA still wouldn't be too far away.

I have lived in Hollywood, Davie, Ft. Lauderdale Beach, West Palm Beach, and Singer Island as a renter. I bought my first house seven years ago in Juno Beach. Palm Beach county has been growing but most development on the north end is new (not alot of older strip malls). Not to say there is not congestion but there is less traffic issues. North Plam Beach, Juno, Jupiter, Tequesta are all nice and convient to just about any dining-shopping imaginable. The Jupiter area has great drift diving and a 20 minute drive you can be diving Palm Beach. I currently reside in Hobe Sound which is a couple traffic lights, what east coast Florida used to be like town. Great for family and about 15-35 minute drive from all of the northern Palm Beach County diving. For the $ you described you will be able to find a suitable place no matter what you choose.

So if someone moves down here and then gets an idea about moving up to North Carolina, are they hunchbacks?

Fort Myers is 2 hours south of good diving in St. Pete's, 2.5 hours west of great diving in the West Palm Beach/Jupiter area, and 3 hours NW of incredible diving in Key Largo...plus the local housing is very affordable and the local beaches are fantastic.

Cheers.

-J.-

Another question, do you need to work or can you live anywhere? I like being convenient to EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, but I also have to work. If I didn't have to work and had more time to drive to cool things, I might save money and NOT live in Dania Beach. There are cheaper places to live, but I wouldn't make as much money in those places so I stay put and love it here.

By the way you could buy a pretty nice house in my 'hood for what you are looking to spend. I love living near the beach, the turnpike, I-95, I-595, two airports, two ports, and 80 minutes to Key Largo!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom