need advice on a digital camera photo program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, I am not great at Elements but if I can help, drop me a PM with what you want to do and maybe I can help.

mrpat, you just cost me $20...I just had to have the upgrade to Proshow. :)

I don't really know. When I first tried to attach a shot from Truk it was too large, so I went back and found a folder with pre-shrunk shots that I must have used to e-mail folks. Just hit attach and it stuck itself in the middle of the sentence.

Like I say I'll try real hard not to screw anything up, and hope you guys don't mind my using this initial posting to get a feel for this board.

mrpat:
I don't really know. When I first tried to attach a shot from Truk it was too large, so I went back and found a folder with pre-shrunk shots that I must have used to e-mail folks. Just hit attach and it stuck itself in the middle of the sentence.
Neat, I'll have to try that in the Testing forum. You can find that under Site Support on the forums listings, or use this link .

The maximum for thumbnails is 200 Kb, and there are ways to embed full pics, but keep those under 150 wide I think so you won't blow the page away, please.
Like I say I'll try real hard not to screw anything up, and hope you guys don't mind my using this initial posting to get a feel for this board.
Hey, you're new - now is the time to get away with anything. :lol2: Nah, it's okay. Let us help you enjoy SB....

herman:
Don, I am not great at Elements but if I can help, drop me a PM with what you want to do and maybe I can help.

mrpat, you just cost me $20...I just had to have the upgrade to Proshow. :)
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure it'd help if I'd read the instructions. :silly: I have a larger hard drive coming. After I install it, I'll reload Elements 4.0 and be in touch.

Don, keep the old drive, reformat it and use it as a backup drive. With all of the other programs off of it, you will a fair amount of space. While you have the computer open, it's no big deal to just move it to another slot.

Something I would suggest to anyone that is using a digital camera, get a USB external drive and keep a copy of your pictures on it as well as your hard drive (I have 2 hard drives + the USB). They are not expensive- $100-120 for 120GB. The USB drive is easy to remove and install, plug and play on XP. If for some reason you have a really bad computer problem, be it virus, failed power supply or lighting strike if you have the USB drive seperated from your computer, it will not be distroyed. Keeping it in a totally different building is not a bad idea. I would hate to have years of photos distroyed.

herman:
Don, keep the old drive, reformat it and use it as a backup drive. With all of the other programs off of it, you will a fair amount of space. While you have the computer open, it's no big deal to just move it to another slot.
Reformat a PC hard drive? I'm gonna drop a 100 Gig drive in this notebook, move this 40 gig hard drive to my backup notebook that currently has a 30 gig, and keep the 30 for any warranty required returns.
Something I would suggest to anyone that is using a digital camera, get a USB external drive and keep a copy of your pictures on it as well as your hard drive (I have 2 hard drives + the USB). They are not expensive- $100-120 for 120GB. The USB drive is easy to remove and install, plug and play on XP. If for some reason you have a really bad computer problem, be it virus, failed power supply or lighting strike if you have the USB drive seperated from your computer, it will not be distroyed. Keeping it in a totally different building is not a bad idea. I would hate to have years of photos distroyed.
Yep, I back up all of my documents on an External hard drive every week or two - just tell it to copy everything into a new folder with current date on the External, keeping the preceding copy as a safety, deleting older copies. I also back up most pics on my Aol.com albums.

DandyDon:
Reformat a PC hard drive? I'm gonna drop a 100 Gig drive in this notebook, move this 40 gig hard drive to my backup notebook that currently has a 30 gig, and keep the 30 for any warranty required returns.

Ooops, I assumed (you know what that does) that you were talking about a desktop. Laptop, I would do the same.

Yeah I like a compute that'll go where I go. My dive cam can fill up a 1/2 gig card in one good day, like to download every day. Sea & Sea says to not use a gig card in the new Dc 500

I used a gig "ultra" card in mine this weekend and had no problems. I think it is mainly a problem with writing time being slowed while shooting in the tiff format.

Back
Top Bottom