Need advice for raising a half-sunken boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a used floatation bag that you may be interested in. Here are the specs: 6000 SUBSALVE USA Enclosed Flotation Bag. It has only been used a few times and is in excellent condition. Subsalve's web site lists these specs: Lift capacity of 6600 lbs. Height 6'4"" Length 9'4" Weight 90lbs. Perfect for
vessel salvage, automobile recovery, and emergency flotation systems for
ships, aircraft, submersibles and ROVs. Heavy-duty, ballistic- rated
nylon fabric coated with urethane has high strength, is very resistant
to abrasion, and is not affected by most petro-chemicals. Incorporates a
heavy nylon lift harness built into the body of the lift bag, with safe
working ratio of 6:1. Can be used with a single pick point with a
shackle on the bottom of the bag or can be inverted to use two stainless
steel rings on the top of the bag with two pick points. It is equipped
with a 3/4" NPT inflation/deflation port.

Photo on request.

Let me know if you are interested.
Ed Pags

fortran:
Hi

I own a half-sunken 25 foot sailboat that went down during Isabell. The bow is sitting on my dock, and the stern is under 4-6 feet of water (depending on tide).

The boat sank because the bow hit a pilon, punctured the fiberglass, and the boat took water. I have patched that hole, and I am almost certain that there is no hole in the sections under the water. There are however small leaks from poorly sealed junctions, which leak enough water to beat the 8000 GPH pump I used last time to empty the boat.

So, I am thinking of using a combined approach of raising the stern while pumping, hoping that as the boat is coming up, those junctions get out from under the water and let the pump empty the boat.

As far as I have read raising the stern could be done by
1- 1 lift belt that goes under the boat
2- 2 lift bags connected to a belt that goes under the boat
3- 2 drums connected to a belt that goes under the boat

I have searched for ued lift belts, but found none, and new ones cost $800+.
I have not found lift bags or drums made for this purpose.

I would appreciate your advice about these 3 methods, of any other method you can think of. I also have attached a picture of the boat right as waters were receding. High tide is usually 1 foot below what you see in this picture.

Thanks
Masoud

Masoud,

If you can get a strap under the hull and keep it in a fixed location, you can use several steel drums as lift devices. You can either have a tab welded onto the bottom, invert the steel drum after flooding it and then fill it with air, or use sealed drums and use a come-along under water.

Pylons would have to be stabilized in 2 axis which required two braces. A pain....

http://www.subsalve.com/subpro.htm

I have the same problem you do... i need some advice as well... thought this may be a good place to post it as you could benefit too... hey there... i read a very nice and thoughtful reply to a posting that a fellow made on scubaboard.com and thought you may be able to give me some of that friendly advice.

i have a 5 to 6 ton silverton cabin cruiser (project boat) that sank in its winter storage slip. the boat is resting on a mud bottom and with our 7+ foot tidal range, she's submerged completely at high tide and at low tide the fore deck is out of the water and the transom is under water about 2 to 3 feet. if i can get her out of the water enough, then i may be able to pump the water out and float her. that's my goal. i believe that i know the source of the water that sank her and that once she's more or less floating we can plug that pretty quickly.... probably a broken exhaust.

any advice you would have would be very very much appreciated... we are willing to work hard and smart but do not want to spend a lot of money doing this, if at all possible! i am sure you understand that!

thanks again for any advice you may have as to how we may use air and water pumps effectively or to shore the vessel up with lumber or to use pillows and straps... oh, and where do we rent/buy these things? ideas? thanks!!!!
ed

saveourship@edtrain.com or you can reply to this email

with a 7+' tidal shift, you could attach some floats at low tide to some structeral members of the hull and let the tide pull the boat from the mud. Using a hose or pressure washer to blow water under the hull will alleviate the suction of the mud. with the boat at high tide, out of the mud, pass some slings under the hull to lift it further out of the water. as soon as possible get the pumps going to move as much water out as fast as it can. with a tidal shift of 7' you should be able to use moring bouys, 55 gallon drums or the large foam blocks on dock floats as you don't need to deflate/inflate them, the tide will lift for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom