Need advice for a family / diving vacation in and around Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you make contact staff will organise your pickup from the airport and an overnight hotel in Sanur will be arranged so you can be transported to Lembongan early the next morning - I havent been to Lembongan since 2008 but stayed at the Oka 7 Bungalows which were conveniently located just along the beach and up a few (with the kids try and ask for a lower bungalow if you choose Oka as the top bungalows have a LOT of stairs - some of the lower ones have little plunge pools) - If you want something more upmarket they will suggest a few options. I cannot say for sure re pick up from your hotel but as mine (Oka) was within walking distance one of the staff would walk up and carry my gear down the stairs for me - bless!. Scooters are the main method of transport on Lembongan but I cant imagine you being asked to find your own way there especially with the kids. A 3mm will be fine - i sometimes wear a lavacore vest and hoody under my 3mm for night dives as I feel the cold but have seen people diving in shorties or just their swimmers/bathers. Try and dive Crystal Bay it is a really pretty site just can be a bit of a surge running at times. Also loved SD point which is a nice drift dive (Watch out for the Peacock Manta shrimp...pretty to look at hurts when they bash you lol).
Tulumben is shore diving and of course the wreck there is the main drawcard. Very quiet up there and if you like shore diving, its a nice enough place - there are very few shops so try and remember to take anything like memory cards for cameras etc up there before you go ditto only one money changer (the supermarket) so having some Rupiah changed before you go up to the North is a good idea.
The team will also organise your transport back to the airport and if necessary a nights accom before you fly out - which is sometimes a good idea with kids. Have fun and say hi from "The Girl who dives Earthquakes" :wink:

Would recommend twofish divers, blue corner divers or world diving from either staying there, visited there or had friends who dived there. All cost about the same. I preferred twofish resort personally.

I went in sept-oct an water temp varied, usually around 24-25C but dropping to 18 at crystal bay, blue corner and house reef. I wore only a rash guard during my week, which was fine on the whole as I don't get cold though the 2 dives at 18C was not pleasant. For most people around penida I would suggest 3mm as a minimum prob better with 5mm. Many people had gloves and hoods too!

Dive sites NOT to miss....manta bay or manta point are good if you can get past the swell as some weeks not diveable. Toyapakeh visually the most beautiful, sekolah desar and PED also v nice. Most of the molas I saw were at buyuk and blue corner. Saw one at crystal bay but the shear volume of divers there is a Joke, plus has horrible currents at the turn of the island. ceningan wall is ok for a change.

Thanks again for all the info.
So we've booked our own accommodation on Lembongan and I've sent requests for info to a couple of the dive ops recommended in this thread, all answers seemed very professional / interesting. We just have to figure out a couple of kid related logistics details to figure out how much diving we'll be able to do before booking everything.
I'll make sure to to report back once we're back home!

This is a great thread. We are also a family with a 4 y.o. and are planning a diving trip in AUGUST (10 days) from Melbourne.
Menjangan is a possibility, Nusa Lembongan is another one.
My questions are:
How long does it take to get to both locations from Denpasar? Traveling with a 4 y.o. adds some complications, so we are looking for the "least painful" option.
Also, what about water temperature (surface) in both places in AUGUST?
I have read in that water is cold-ish around nusa lembongan in August, something like 22C, whereas it is 28C around in Menjengan. Is that true? Again the little one (not mentioning the wife) would prefer warmer water.
Finally what about rain? I remember a couple of years ago we've been to the Gili islands and it was sunny, but we could see daily storms in Lombok, just opposite. Any rain in Menjangan or Nusa Lembongan in August?
Thanks

Nusa Penida would definitely be a closer option from Denpassar. I havent been to Menjangan so im sure someone with local knowledge will pop in with your answers. You will get rainy afternoons I guess, its Bali but not a bad time of the year to escape from Melbournes winter :)

This is a great thread. We are also a family with a 4 y.o. and are planning a diving trip in AUGUST (10 days) from Melbourne.
Menjangan is a possibility, Nusa Lembongan is another one.
My questions are:
How long does it take to get to both locations from Denpasar? Traveling with a 4 y.o. adds some complications, so we are looking for the "least painful" option.
Also, what about water temperature (surface) in both places in AUGUST?
I have read in that water is cold-ish around nusa lembongan in August, something like 22C, whereas it is 28C around in Menjengan. Is that true? Again the little one (not mentioning the wife) would prefer warmer water.
Finally what about rain? I remember a couple of years ago we've been to the Gili islands and it was sunny, but we could see daily storms in Lombok, just opposite. Any rain in Menjangan or Nusa Lembongan in August?
Thanks

Travel time :
South Bali to Menjangan area : 4 hours by car in August (there is a bit of traffic in Bali during summer ...)
South Bali to Nusa Lembongan : 25 minutes from Sanur by speed boat, 1H20 by slow boat (might be more comfortable depending of the actual sea conditions : if big swell & near new / full moon, the slow boat might definitely be a better option especially with a young kid...)

Water temp :
Menjangan : 28°C in average
Lembongan / Penida : 25°C in average but expect nice below 20°C thermoclines from time to time ... that's what attract the big fish ...

Weather :
Not so much rain at this time of the year. Might rain once in a while, rarely for more than an hour and mostly in early mornings or late evenings.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 12:08 PM ----------

Did not say there was a dive resort - I said they have an op there.........although they certainly will help you arrange accomodation on Lembongan and I feel it is important to let people know you misread my post.

Well, Scubali (aka Bali Diving Academy) has no op in Nusa Penida : they are based in Nusa Lembongan.

They can arrange pick-up / drop-off from any Nusa Lembongan accommodation as all the local dive ops can do :)

BDA has a good overall reputation.

1. Can the the dive ops pick you up pretty much anywhere on the island or is there a specific area we should stay?

Pick-up & drop-off possible all around the island.
The south part of the island (Mushroom Bay, Dream Beach, ...) is quite "remote" (well it's a 8km² island ...) but still, ops can arrange pick-up & drop-off by boat or scooter ...

2. Also as far as the diving is concerned what's the water temp like in June around Penida / Lembongan (should we bring 3mm with vests or is 5mm recommended?).

Currently we got 28°c on average.
We begin to get some colder thermoclines (24°c) but nothing dramatic.
You should expect this kind of temp all over June. Water temp usually starts to decrease around mid-July (might starts later this year as water is still warmer than the past 3 years but who knows ...).

3. Are there any dive sites we don't want to miss besides Manta point?

Must do are :
Crystal Bay (nice in June, better to avoid in July / August, way too many divers to enjoy the trip !)
Toyapakeh Wall & Bay (2 options, depending of current, 2 very different topographies & aquatic life, worth the 2 dives)
SD Point
Sental Point
Mangrove Point

Manta Bay might be another option as interactions are different over Manta Point (feeding area vs cleaning area).

Blue Corner & Ceningan Wall are subject to strong currents and perfect conditions are required ( = slack tide, no swell, no new / full moon as minimum). No reputable op will bring guests there before several check dives & checking your level of experience (50+ drift dives is a must). If an op accepts to bring you to Blue Corner without explaining this, it might be a good idea to choose another op ...

In addition of being tricky, Blue Corner can be an awesome dive or very disappointing depending of your luck :)

4. How does the reef diving compare to Tulamben / Amed?

We don't have the bumpheads neither the huge number of schooling trevallies :/ But coral coverage & aquatic life diversity is generally considered as better.

Last edited:
Nusa Penida better reef diving compared to Tulamben / Amed

there is some great drift diving I think its Jack point down to blue corner over very nice coral and great fish life but watch the current at the end and come into shallower water.

water can be cold due to cold upcurrents from Australia 5 mm is best I froze in a 3 mm

Crystal bay is good for mola mola as well but listen to your guides as there is a deep channel over the edge and can be down currents as well as strong currents

Candidasa also for mola mola and good reef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom