Need advice: ATX100 or ATX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another point about APEKS -- John Bennet took APEKs to 1000 ft and it brought him home alive.....there is a bunch to be said for that.

dbg40:
My 2 cents,, Save your money, and consider a DST , and 2, ATX50's I doubt you could tell any dif. in performance, and there bullit proof, less $!! you win.
I have a DST first stage, I find the swivel turret moves exactly when I wish it wouldn't (gearing up). If I were to do it over I'd have the slightly-less-expensive DS4 instead. YMMV.

Babydamulag:
Another point about APEKS -- John Bennet took APEKs to 1000 ft and it brought him home alive.....there is a bunch to be said for that.

Mark Ellyat broke John's record using Mares regs. Nuno Gomes broke Ellyat's record using Poseidon regs. Pascal Bernabé broke Gomes's record, using Apeks... Doesn't prove much other than that all the regs, not just the ones made by Apeks, are usable at below 1,000 ft.

xlow:
Maybe it's just the power of suggestion... but I have my ATX200 as a primary 2nd stage and ATX50 as my alternative and I can tell right away that it's "easier to breathe" using ATX200. But maybe it's just what I mentioned at the beginning.
Good luck.

I'd rather be diving now.:14:

A primary 2nd stage is usually adjusted to around 1.6" h20 resisitance for crack pressure and your backup is usally adjusted to 2" or more. What that means is that you have to suck just a little harder on the backup to get air to start flowing.

StSomewhere,,YOU,, my friend are correct! "I" messed up, and meant to say DS4, I love mine! And in my opinion, the DST is a PITA.

David P:
A primary 2nd stage is usually adjusted to around 1.6" h20 resisitance for crack pressure and your backup is usally adjusted to 2" or more. What that means is that you have to suck just a little harder on the backup to get air to start flowing.

Defintely not the power of suggestion. The second stages are the exact same throughout with the exception of coating and cosmetic appeal.
As for adjustment, the above mentioned seems a little harsh for my liking. The whole purpose of the user adjustment is to adjust the breathing effort down to nothing (almost) and back again should it trickle.

MarcHerm:
Hi! I am new here and need some advice from you guys.
I am a beginning diver with about 15 dives under my belt but I want to have my own equipment. I am a cold water diver.
I am thinking of buying an ATX100 or ATX200 (either with an ATX40 octo). The price difference is about 80$ between the two sets.
Is it worth to spend the extra money? I think the port layout of the ATX200 is a bit better but unfortunately I cannot compare them side by side.

What do you think??

Thanks!!

MarcHerm, pic up November's Scuba Mag( or just sneak a read at the bookstore lol). They compare the ATX 100 and ATX200 side by side.

go with a atx50. all apex valves are very good.i swear by them.i have used them for the last 13 years.all are virtualy the same just the outsides that look different.

maltbyg:
go with a atx50. all apex valves are very good.i swear by them.i have used them for the last 13 years.all are virtualy the same just the outsides that look different.

The differences are in the hose routing. The FST is preferred by many for doubles and the FSR for singles (becaused of the angled HP ports). The FSR also has the removable ARCAP valve seat feature. The DS4 is popular because it is the cheapest.

rapidiver:
MarcHerm, pic up November's Scuba Mag( or just sneak a read at the bookstore lol). They compare the ATX 100 and ATX200 side by side.
Not sure which magazine you are talking about. Not scuba diving (formerly rodales) are you?

Back
Top Bottom